Remanufactured Crank with Rolled Fillets on rod journals not on main journals?

Tim Cucci

I was looking at a remanufactured crank at Advance Auto parts today that was ordered as a Turbo Crank for an 87 GN. The crank had rolled fillets on the rods but the mains did not. I thought this was odd due to the fact that the N/A cranks have the rolled fillets on the mains and not on the rods. This crank was under $250.

I have seen them both ways. You might have better luck ordering it for a 4.1. Still no guarantee. They both have the same casting #.

I thought it may have been built up and then machined back down to standard. If that were the case would the fillets still be underneath?
It was said that the crank was standard size.
They may have actually cut it down first and then built up and then machined to standard ?
I don't know what the remanufacturing process involves.
Where are the weak points in our turbo cranks? Where do they break? Rod Journals? Main Journals?

Interesting, I was just talking to Advance the other day for a crank.

the info they ask for is vin 9 turbo specific and the crank is much more $ than the non-turbo crank.(I had him look it up both ways)

I am going to order one tomorrow,I want to see what they send me......
the manager has no problem sending it back if there is a issue with it.

Tim,

as far as the crank you are looking at , I would have them get you another one..... I would be interested in what someone thinks about the built up mains though...

Chris

Actually I was going to use the crank as a spare if it still had the rolled fillets.I am sure it was a true crank before remanufacturing. I knew it was to good to be true but when I talked to the manager he said "We will order it and take a look at no charge". The crank arrived in two days out of Tenn. from a company called Crankshaft Rebuilders. The crank is listed online on the Advance website. I took some pics. of a real crank and showed the manager and he had no problem with sending the crank back at no charge to me of any kind. It was a nice crank it just did not have the rolled fillets on the main journals.

Hey Tim,what did you do with the crank???

I looked at the crank that Advanced got for me.....it looked ok but the mains were cut .30..... :(
I had them order me another (they held the first crank for me just in case the next one was worse :eek: )

the next one was 20-20 .....not bad...... the person I am doing the eng for can live with that.

anyway,I was just wondering :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!
Chris

The store was going to ship the crank back. I did not buy it. Do the cranks you have looked at Advance have the rolled fillets on the rod journals?
The N/A cranks have rolled fillets on the mains only? Correct?
Thanks
Tim

If you want a 20/20 or 20/30 or 30/30 or whatever, give these people (ADVANCE) a call. I've tried to sell 10/20s on this board for $250 and never got a call. :confused: Maybe you should look in the parts for sale once in a while.

I look in the Parts section all the time but I have not seen a crank yet that I can look at and measure and send back and not buy if I don't like it. Free with absolutely no cost at all.
What i did was just something interesting to check out. The guy at the store said "Hey I will order it and we we will see what it really is". I said "OK lets do it." I thought that was kinda nice.
No I don't want a 20/20 or 30/30 crank or a 20/10 or 10/20 crank for $250 either.
John, I have been looking at your crank kits and am very interested in buying one. I would definately like to have a spare. I think that is a great deal including bearings and shipping? Is that correct?
I always check here for parts and TR website first.

Thanks
Tim

Originally posted by Tim Cucci

John, I have been looking at your crank kits and am very interested in buying one. I would definately like to have a spare. I think that is a great deal including bearings and shipping? Is that correct?
I always check here for parts and TR website first.

Thanks
Tim

Yes, Tim. That's correct. However, I'm not pushing to sell my 10/10 crank kits. I can sell all I can get but 10/10s are hard to come by. I've had two sitting for over a month......wish I had 20!