Refuse to Lose!

FromaBuick6

When will it end?
Well, I probably blew a head gasket over this, but if so, I'll just rebuild stronger. Anyway, I was down at brandenton at the quarter mile for Thursday night test and tune. My first run I did a 12.70@106, (Zero boost launch, can't hold any boost on the line). So I figured I would bump the timing on the Extender up 2 degrees and turn up the alky as well. I was running around 24 Lbs. of boost, at the time. The track got worse (slick) real fast as the night progressed, and soon it was going to be my last run of the night. I was moving along in the staging lanes and noticed a "riced out" Acura next to me, it was a good looking car, lowered, nice wheels, etc. Well, as we are the next 2 up to run, I hear this commotion, over behind me, then the Acura jumps out of line and a Honda Civic pulls up next to me. It had slicks on the front that were sticking out about 2 inches from the fender wells, loud exhaust, God only knows what else. So I figured the ricers got together and figured they would try a "Bait and Switch". We both lined up and staged, I had a great reaction time, but spun all the way through first, (usually the track is good and sticky, but not tonight), the Honda looked to be having the same kind of traction problems. But as soon as I got into second I started hooking, and then started putting distance on him. Deep into 3rd gear, I was about 4 car legths out in front of him when I get red lights everywhere! My knock gauge has gone fully red and I can actually HEAR the knock, Oh great! For a split second I thought about lifting my foot, then I said Nah, I refuse to lose to a honda with slicks, I'll just get ready to pull the heads and pick out the pieces of blown gaskets. Kind of stuborn, but I could just imagine all the local ricers cheering the Honda on to victory, and I couldn't bear the thought. I ran a 13.00@107 and tried to get my foot out of it right before the traps, I think the Honda ran about a 13.30. After the run the car sounded awful! I thought, Oh well, here we go with a rebuild! I hobled back to the pits, and popped the hood. The 2 larger hoses on the side of the vacuum block had blown off, one of them feeds into the pressure switch for the alky. So, I not only had hoses blowing off, but I lost my alky in 3rd gear, Ouch! Well, miracle of miracles, there dosen't seem to be any permanent damage, (as of yet). I think if I hadn't been running about 20% racing gas in my tank, just for fun, it would have been much worse. But as far as the Honda boys know, it's just another loss to a TR! - FAB6;)

If i can make a suggestion , PUT C - 16 in your car straight up with the mods you have you should MPH close to mine if not better . I run 25psi with zero knock alot . Try it youll like the result , if im wrong i will eat my helmet .:p

Haha. Good kill. I plan on going up there in a about a month when I have some more modifications done to my car. Did you see the driver of the Honda's face afterwards? That would of been priceless after you told him you blew a couple hoses and still ran a 13flat.

-Justin

Nice kill man I just hope you didn't hurt anything on it. You should try and come up to the Gainesville track sometime on open Wednesday nights. I went for the first time this past Wed. and my best was a 13.3 at 106mph with 18 lbs. of boost. I'm trying to go this Wed. (9-17-03) This time I'm trying for 12's by getting the boost up to about 25psi with racing fuel. Maybe I'll see you there.

WOW!!! Now thats taking a hit for the team. I would like to personally thank you for you commendable decision to keep in it thinking of your fellow turbo regal owners, and our pride. Thanks again for having balls, and not allowing that honda to beat you.

Nick

That sounds familiar. I was out one time with major boost control problems and exhaust leaks. I went up against a loud Honda on slicks and just laughed at him. When the lights dropped he pulled a 2.0 60' to my 2.3. I knew the boost was set too high for pump gas and I would have to peddle it the whole way down. I figured I would catch him but I'm now at the 1/8 mark and not reeling him in at all. He's about 2 cars ahead. Finally, I said screw it and put it to the floor. I was physically hurting from all the pinging under the hood but that guy probaby thought I had nitrous. Looking at the timeslips at the 1/8 he had 1mph on me. At the 1/4 I ran 13.0@109mph to his 13.6 103mph. 7mph on the top end looks pretty bad when you go past. I did blow a headgasket, 2 cylinders in fact, but figured it was well worth it as I would never hear the end of it if I lost. I also told the guy's friends the whole hotair story and an intercooled GN would really tear them up. They didn't even notice my FM behind the grill lol.