Red Armstrong Chip

mackdaddy

Ok guys I have the motor out due to spun main bearing. We are doing a roller cam kit, new turbo, injectors and new chip. I have the 5.7 Turbo Tweak by Eric Marshall now I know it will have to be reburned but the guy doing all of the work swears by Red's chip because they run open loop and allows the car to learn the tune. Turbo tweak runs a closed loop all of the time which I know is better for idle and I know that Eric's chips can be tuned with a scanmaster. What are your thoughts?

i have had 3 of Turbo tweak's chips (i am ordering a 4th) and they worked fine, BUT i just ordered a Reds Chip to give it a shot.
That said i will also be ordering a Commander chip.
BTW Put your Flame suit on ASAP- the Name "Red" makes people crazy around this town.

[quote
BTW Put your Flame suit on ASAP- the Name "Red" makes people crazy around this town.[/quote]

Now that's funny !!!
And true

I personally believe the red chips make more power
The TT people here swear by them
But red chips I would say are very good and make plenty of power
You are right about the closed and open loop

TT idle better but overall I thinks reds make more power

My 2 cents

You're going to get many opinions on this subject, and a lot of them will point to Turbo Tweak. There are several reasons for this. 1) TurboTweak is a paying supporter of this forum. 2) TurboTweak chips allow the user to adjust WOT fuel and timing. 3) TurboTweak product support is fantastic. 4) Idle quality is very good with TurboTweak. What you want to do with the car should affect your decision the most.

I still consider myself a newb with these cars, but in my experience, the biggest plus with TurboTweak chips is their ability to adjust WOT fuel and timing. The next biggest would be the amount of widespread knowledge about them. There couldn't be anything more frustrating to me than to suspect a problem, but be unable to figure it out because of lack of information. I'm unsure of whether Red's chips have any user adjustments for fuel and/or timing. When I was researching a new chip, this was one of the reasons I chose TurboTweak - I couldn't find any information about Red's chips. If Red's chips DON'T offer any user adjustments, then you are stuck with what you have.

You have to remember that a chip doesn't make power; the motor does. If your motor isn't tuned correctly, you won't make as much power. If you have no ability to adjust the tune, you have to be 100% sure you have it right the first time.

When I got my first Turbo Tweak chip (to replace an old ATR PitBull chip), I was VERY disappointed at the loss of power, but very happy to see my WOT KR disappear and idle improve. Once I figured out how to adjust fuel and timing with the TurboTweak chip, I changed my mind about the loss of power. With the TT's ability to up fuel and up timing, my trap speeds and ET's dropped tremendously over the PitBull. Best with PitBull was 13.8 (no adjustability for fuel and timing). Best with my TT 93 chip was 13.45 (playing with fuel and timing).

The point is that opinions will differ and what works for one, may not work as well for another. If you have that ability to adjust things like your timing advance and your fuel, you'll be able to get the most out of your motor. Once you get the most out of your motor, you can "back it down" a bit so you don't blow it up.

What so u mean put a flame suit on? Do u mean his chips are hot on timing? I know some old school GN guys and they said Reds chips are really good.

There have been some "heated" discussions on this forum about Red's fuel pumps. I don't think it's because they're Red's, just the delivery method of their biggest proponent. I'm sure several members just prefer to use products from a supporting vendor.

Reds chips were the best for me during all my injector/modification upgrades. At the track they consistently performed the best and I tried all the burners. Today TT seems to be the only well known option especially for E85 and injection cars, but there are lots of old chips floating around for cheap prices that are excellent for guys running just pump gas.

TT idle better but overall I thinks reds make more power
I don't know what he does to his program but the spoolup is noticeably faster. The only way to know is to compare. Chips are relatively inexpensive. I think they will generally all make the same max power on any given set-up. It's the drive ability and spoolup that tends to win a person over.

There have been some "heated" discussions on this forum about Red's fuel pumps. I don't think it's because they're Red's, just the delivery method of their biggest proponent. I'm sure several members just prefer to use products from a supporting vendor.
Is there a right and wrong way to say that his XP pumps outflow all other 255lph pumps? It's because they're Red's.
Posts have been deleted for talking about Red.

Bob bailey chips have the ability to run closed or open loop and do all the other things that a TT chip can as far as I know. I haven't tried any other chip maker yet so I can't say who's is better but that would be something worth finding out.

I may try one of Reds and Eric's in the future to see what the differences are.