recommended tools for drum brakes ?

It makes the job a lot easier to do.

Check the prices at Sears or elsewhere first. See if anyone offers a lifetime warranty. Especially the brakes spring pliers....That hook on the end will be the first thing that breaks! My brake spring plier is from KD and it has a lifetime warranty.:)

I've always just used a good pair of vise grips a large screwdriver and a larger hammer.
If you haven't waited till the shoes are gone and have metal ageist metal you can just beat hell outta the drums to break the hold the shoes have against the drum and pull it off. If not then you need 2 screwdrivers. Push the auto adjuster back and back off the star wheel. Then beat hell outta the drum again.
Don't make the mistake of removing both side shoes while the drums are out getting turned. Then you'll be scrachin your head "wheres this spring go again?":confused:
Use the visegrips to grab the springs. Grab it just behind the hook on the straight part about a half inch from the hook rivet.
Be aware that there are two different size shoes. A primary and secondary. Back the adjuster all the way in. Put the drums back on and tires then go for a little spin "backwards". I go about 10 feet and pump the pedal a few times. Repeat till the pedal comes up and feels firm.
Take your time and you'll do fine. ;)