Recent track experience, nuthin crazy.

Nigel

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Figured I would post some recent track experience for comment or information.

Picked up a very stock 87 T Nov 2011. Noteworthy parts when I picked it up were hotwired Walbro 307, adj reg, 37 lb/hr Delphi inj., stock exhaust with muffler replaced, scanmaster.

Work I’ve done to the car: valve springs, timing chain, rear seal(engine still seeps oil from multiple locations), dut neck, gutted cat, motor mounts, tranny mount, exhaust dumps (one on each pipe prior to turn out/up to go above the axel), replaced passenger side upper a-arm bushings, brake accumulator.

Equipment I’ve added, MAF T Pro(using as translator awesome), Extender pro chip(awesome), LT1 MAF, high boost solenoid, LC-1, boost gauge, 235/60-15 MT ET streets, CK shift kit, Razor Alky, 3 gallon tank in the trunk.

Best Street tire performance
8.4@83.79
13.12@104.28

Best MT ET street performance
8.005@84.73
12.66@104.68

I have been very patient and have driven the car getting a handle on the MAF T and the alky. Boost control on the stock turbo has taken some time to dial in at higher boost. I’m too old to go screamin around on the highway, so I’m careful how I tune on the highway. I will typically use on ramps to record runs, and rarely exceed 80 or so. Once I was happy brought to the track, only took two years. I will say I have been very busy for a long time, but glad to finally have gotten it out.

Currently running 23 psi in 1-2 and 24.5 degrees advance, 22 psi in 3 and 22.5 degrees advance. Most of my runs have been no knock or less than 0.5. I have had two runs where I saw 1.7 or so retard around the 1-2 shift or just after. Next upgrade, power logger. I have tuned with the tuner pro and scanmaster, but I am sure the power logger will make it much easier.

The TurboBob gear makes tuning very fun. I plan to tinker some more with the current setup, not sure what I may do next.

Suggestions welcome, but I am not going to be changing any major parts except for a transmission upgrade hopefully this winter.

Engine compartment picture attached for reference.

Attachments

• IMG-20130822-00004.jpg
    IMG-20130822-00004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
I was a little vague in my request for suggestions.
With very stock mechanicles, what are the practicle limits on timing?
I am currently running A/F at 10.8:1, I am going to richin a little to see if I can maintain current timing or even increase with no knock, will creep up slowly.
Maybe should be in the alky section, but anybody have suggestions, I know the stock stuff has limitations of prolly around 107 trap speed, if that.
Thanks.