rebuilding engine

Two T's

Long Time member
want to do my short block am wondering what are the important tollerances to hold am going to have a local builder do it and is verry reputable but I know the buicks are perticular on some things can any body with engine building experince chime in so I get it done once right. Scott from gns pref. is an old friend and was up in wisconsin visiting and said it dosent look to bad poss. just refreshining and poss turn crank spunn #6 rod bearing what tollerances are important and what are they:confused:
Thanks Tom

Make sure your builder knows about the buicks and the motors. the important thing is replace or resize the rod that spun. Whenever I have a motor done i bore hone check line bore(not necisary) and resize all rods.. I use a guy that uses torqe plates on the blocks aswell. I have my rotating assemblies balances to last a bit longer. I ALWAYS use king bearings,the gaskets are up to you but i like felpro 1000 so far so good and use arp bolts/studs.. as for tolerances the machine shop should know them and u can use plasticguage to recheck them.

Have the machine shop keep bearing clearances at .0017"-.0019". If they are .0025" or more, then hot idle oil pressure will suffer. Ring end gaps NEED to be on the high side. No loss of power if they are .010" too big, but if too tight, they can pull the top of the piston off. Ring end gaps vary based on piston material and final bore size, but set them a few thou. bigger than they reccomend. Roller cam is a must. Oil pump thrust clerance needs to be real tight, too. Shoot for .0005"-.0015". Time consuming to get the pump clearances right. Tap the front of the block for scew in oil gallery plugs (available from TA) Crank thust surfaces need to be hand polished if the crank grinder "touches" the thrust surface.(they usually do to "true it") Use 500, 600, then 1000-1500 grit paper to polish the surface to a near mirror. If you leave the thrust surface of the crank as-is after grinding, it WILL eat the thrust bearing out of the engine. Look closely and you will see that it looks like a saw blade. Neoprene front AND rear main seals. ARP head bolts. Stock rod and main bolts are OK for 550HP or less. Port the heads, even if just a pocket port job. (money well spent.) THat covers the basics, but the details make or break the whole thing. Like others have said, have all the work done by someone that has done ALOT of turbo Buicks. THe average machine shop will argue with you about the bearing clearances. If they tell you that they are too tight, walk away......FAST! Hope this helps.

Thanks guys it has been very helpfull have been confused hearing alot of diff.
oppions and have narrowed down to 2 shops in my area will check on both with what has been mentioned and see what happens thanks really appericiate all the help and teck info
Thanks Tom:cool: