Rebuilding ATR wastegate?...

J Banning

Quench my thirst with C16
I just took apart my ATR wastegate (late model I think) and it's trashed! I definately need a new diaphragm and possibly a new valve bushing. The valve has a lot of side-to-side play, and it looks like the stem is scorred up pretty bad. I guess this explains my boost creep and why my bleeder valve doesn't work like it used to.

Who should I send it to? I remember hearing that Precision Turbo used to work some magic on them. What about ATR? Anyone else? (I'm not buying another wastegate!)

Thanks,
-Banning.

I just had a great experience with Precision in this same situation. I ordered a new one from them for like $86. Hopefully I'll get it today and I'll report back on ease of installation and product quality.

ATR "wastedgate"!

I had the SAME failure w/ mine. It was actually worse. The mild steel flange on the header, [ATR] was eroded by the exh gases when the gate opened. This was due to the design, in which the valve head seals on the flange instead of the gate body...That alone, makes it a poor design in my book.
Additionally, the valve guide will go away and the diaphram will leak...
I had it modified by ATR, before it was even installed. I then sent it to John C. He charged me $40. [I think it was a new guide]
Still was not worth a damn.. leaked and was poor at building the set boost. [I use an INNOVATIVE elec. controller].
The ATR is now off and a new Innov. Pro gate is on. The pro gate appears to work ok. I have it plumbed as a 2 port application. I check it w/ remote air source and it is accurate to within 1/2 #.

Re: ATR "wastedgate"!

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
The mild steel flange on the header, [ATR] was eroded by the exh gases when the gate opened. This was due to the design, in which the valve head seals on the flange instead of the gate body

I noticed the same thing on mine, however it isn't that bad (yet):(

-Banning.

Originally posted by J Banning
Craig reworks them too?

When I got mine (used) Harry and Joe at PTE both said to send mine to John. I did. John rebujilt it, ported it, and all for under $100!

It still needs occasional maintenance like pulling it apart and copper anti-siezing the valve stem/guide, but other than that, it works decent now.

I'm STILL replacing it with a HKS gate tho :rolleyes:

Yeah as Chuck attested to, John C does them. I thought he had them fiured out maybe not. Incidentaly, I have terrible boost creep issues with mine as well, going back to THDP and regular adjustable wastegate setup at this very moment. Screw it, its not worth it to me.

NOT BAD??

Banning wrote:

I noticed the same thing on mine, however it isn't that bad (yet)

-Banning.

That rough surface can cause the valve to not seat and it WILL leak at any level of boost lower than max setting..
I sealed mine off and tried it w/ shop air. IT LEAKS>>:mad: :mad:
I still have it.. and the instructions too.. Anyone want 1 cheap??;)

my atr setup was giving me problems, it got way worse with the colder weather because of the dense air and more power made it harder to control, the fix wwas to port the exhaust hole(wastegate hole) in my turbo to the same size as the gasket or pipe if you dont have a gasket,no i have rock steady boost and can control it down the 12#s with my innovative controller
Otto

hello guys, I am thinking of having my atr wastegate rebulit and was wandering who to send it to. John Craig said he doen't mess with them no more. :confused:

I guess I got lucky then. I finally got off my butt and sent it to him last spring. Put it on the car about a month ago. Works great. Limit Engineering did a great job.

Don't know who else to go to.

DON'T send it to ATR to get rebuilt/fixed!

My gate wasn't holding boost @ all...blowed my dang car-up...anyway sent it back to ATR last year..charged me $100.00

Put it back on the car and put 200 miles on it, worked fine. Parked the car had problems with it, took it out for a spin 4 months later and it's screwed again!!! :mad:

Called Sheri.. she says "you shouldn't be having any problems with it this soon...blah,blah,blah, send it back and we'll take care of it. I said "fine, it'll be in the spring before I even think about this car again but i'll get it off and to ya"
Called ATR last week and Sheri is no longer there :rolleyes: , this chick Wanda, Linda, whatever her name was said she'd been gone for 2 weeks. Just my luck! So I told her my story and she says well i'm looking in the computer and see where you paid to have it rebuilt but nothing about a promise to fix-it again...so I complain some-more and she says "I'll have to talk to the owner and get back to ya" It's been a week and 2 days, no answer :rolleyes:

Screw ATR!

Limit did mine last year. John did a great job. Only cost $50 including shipping.

Re: ATR "wastedgate"!

Originally posted by Chuck Leeper
The ATR is now off and a new Innov. Pro gate is on. The pro gate appears to work ok.

was this a direct replacement. I hate my ATR what can I change to with out having to modify the downpipe. I have heard the Tial wastegate will work.

i have had a few atr wg's and never had a problem other than having to port the wg hole in the turbo. also when i put a rjc control valve it spooled much quicker. but chuck is right about the design. i have had a few customers that had to replace theirs.

Did John Craig say why he doesn't do them anymore? This sucks, I think the one I bought is going to need it too. Seems like it wants to creep up about 4-5# in 2nd.

Where can you get the parts, diaphragm etc?