rearend

gn4me

I have a 87 G.N. but for some crazy reason the guy didn't order the posi rear.I picked up a 86 Monte Carlo S.S. that has the posi rear in it.So would I be able to swap out the monte rear and put it in the G.N.If so should I just replace the whole rear or just the posi unit?Thanks for any help.

The Monte Carlo has the 7-1/2" rear, the GN has the 8-1/2" rear. The parts are not interchangeable. The 7-1/2" rear is only good for a boat anchor.

I wouldnt put a Monte rear in your GN. Your GN will break that like a tooth pick if its making any power. The Monte rear will bolt directly in but it is smaller than the GN rear thus not as strong. GN rears go for a pretty penny sometimes. I know of some guys who install A-Body rear ends with aftermarket control arms and they are just as strong since they are of the 8.5 inch nature. If ur making any kind of power leave the Monte rear in the Monte.

Sell off the Monte rear to one of the Malibu/Monte/Elky guys and use the loot to buy an Eaton posi for your 8.5. Trust me, you will be glad that you did.