Rearend problems

Lunkan

Crazy? Me? :-P
I took the car to the track yesterday (http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157127) only to find out I´ve got some sort of problem with my rear. It´s comes from Randy Burgh´s old car and should have been recently rebuilt with new 3.73 gears.

What happens is, when warming, it feels like nothing happens and all of a sudden everything brakes loose and the rpms fly. What happens is (what I´ve been told by folks at the side) that only the pass. side tire is spinning in the beggining and then the drv side tire comes loose and it sounds like the rear would fall off.

As it rained when I was driving home, it was kind of slippery. When moving from a redlight, the backend of the car tries to move out to the right. This is with hardly no throttle at all.

When letting go of throttle, there was a large bang. But I´ve found out to be the bushings that need to be replaced.

When raising the car and turning the wheels by hand backwards, they´re turning different. But when turning forward, they both are rolling in the same direction.

I removed the axles and they look great, not a scratch. And the gears looks great to. The oil had no debris.

How much shims would be normal for the posi?

Posi installed
Posi on the floor
Closeup on gears
Shims from housing

Is there some way to check the posis functionality?

Thanks in advance
/Andreas

That was the closest and cleanest thing I had in reach. Good thing to put a posi on :p

Got a brand new one instead, so that´s been laying on the floor a couple of weeks :cool:

I thought Randy's car had a 9 inch rear? Guess not.

The 9 bolt posi is a non serviceable part. Replace and all is well.

Originally posted by Razor
I thought Randy's car had a 9 inch rear? Guess not.

The 9 bolt posi is a non serviceable part. Replace and all is well.

Yes, he did replace the 9bolt with a 9". This one is his stocker that he had rebuilt and with new gears. We don´t know why he rebuilt it, but I guess I know that now...

Guess I´ll have to look for a new posi then :( Thanks for the info.

Actually, you can split the carrier and measure from the edge of the seating surface to the top edge of each cone. If it is still within the service specs, you can add shims to compensate for the wear in the posi cones. There are more details here: "Everything I know about 9 bolts" If it is severly worn, you will have to replace the entire carrier, which is what I am in the process of doing right now.

I was quoted $1025 for a new carrier through a local GM dealer! There is a guy here in the states that can get new carriers for $500 shipped. His website iis www.9bolt.com He is very difficult to get in touch with, because this is just a part time business for him. I recently found a third source for these carriers and have ordered one. If everything works out, I will have it on Tuesday and install it then. If it is the correct part and works well, I can give you the details of the supplier.

Thank You very much for this information. I´ll split it tomorrow and see what it looks like. Very good link from 3rdgen.

Thanks!

Have not opened it yet, too much other things to do.

But, when turning it backwards (and the they turn different ways) it´s not smoth (don´t know the correct word for it). This posi is bad :(

Is there any aftermarket posis that fit these rears, like Eaton? I´ve found a junkyard that´s got a 9-bolt, but he can´t guarantee the functionality but asks $550 for the complete rear.

Lunkan, I have searched and searched and have not been able to find an aftermarket carrier. I made the decision to stick with a stock unit, although it is slightly modified from the original (the side gears and the cones are one piece and can be replaced when they wear out). If you find any additional information, please let me know. BTW, I have not contacted any of the aftermarket companies directly to see if they would consider making a carrier. I know it is an entirely different ball game, but that is how the new TA Performance support cover for the 9 bolt originated.

Thanks for the info. This didn´t come in a good time, especially when I´m trying to sell the car :(