Rearend Noise

wilkinsde

Let's try this in a new post. I did a search and didn't find my specific problem. I'm having rear-end noise issues that have gotten progressively worse, significantly so after a couple of hard launches. The noise is at its worst around 35 MPH with the foot lightly on the accelerator. Noise quits when lifting off the pedal. I had the rear-end checked with the fluid changed (posi-fluid was added) about a year ago. Does problem described sound like the ring and pinion? Does anyone know of a link describing how to remove the rear-end, as I believe I could remove it myself with instructions and take it to someone qualified to rebuild. Thank you for any help provided.

Sounds to me like a Bearing problem in your rear diff.If if was a ring and pinion it would always make a noise just change due to speed.It really needs to be taken apart and inspected hard to tell without pulling it apart.

totally sounds like trashed spider gears.... I just went through this not to long ago, and it sucks. get it open and looked at soon.

A.j.

Grab the driveshaft and see if the pinion on the axle has any up and down movement.If the pinion bearing is bad,you will have very noticeable movement or some seeping from the seal.Either way x2 have it checked out,if it goes too long it will throw off the lash adjustment and lunch the gearset....Believe me!

Noise that changes with throttle load is usually ring and pinion ....but the left diff side bearing beginning to fail can cause this.If you catch it early, you can salvage the gears. A bad bearing is usually noisy all time,under drive or coast, and gets louder with speed .Fix it NOW or spend a lot more later.Pull the cover and pry up on the carrier ....if you can see movement, pull the carrier ,install 2 new bearings/races .Be sure to keep spacers on the side they came from....that sets the blacklash clearance.Kind of a patch repair tho,best to replace all the bearings so you could clean whatever metalflakes the magnet did not catch.

This guy I work with is a pretty good mechanic although he's never worked on a Turbo Regal. He stated some of the same things that 'Driveshaft Man' has noted. The car has 132K. If you were going to rebuild the rearend, what are the parts you would absolutely change while it is out of the car to give it a long life? Is there a place you can recommend to get the parts? Again, thanks very much for your suggestions.

I would change all the bearings and seals and clean and inspect the rest...spline contact surfaces are likely places to find wear.A bearing kit will contain a pinion seal and cover gasket also but no wheel end parts.I can sell you a kit for $75 but you can find it local for only a little more...wheel bearings and seals should be around $40 +/_Any of your local parts guys will be able to get BCA, Federal Mogal kit.Just be sure its not made in China parts

We will most likely take it out for inspection in the next week or so. I work for the Timken Co. so if the bearings are Timken brand, I could possibly get those at work. If we need any gears do you sell them as well? Thanks for your reply.

I would agree and it sounds like maybe a bearing. More likely a pinion bearing. I would put all new bearings in first before a whole new ring and pinion. Not hard and a lot cheaper. If noise get louder when you gradually get on and off the accelerator most of the time it is a pinion bearing.