Rearend looks shifted ???

PCP_58

Hey guys, I searched and thought I read about this b4. My right wheel sits out further on the rear, is this normal? This is on an 86 gn. Thanks for the help, just couldn't find the answer.

Many regal frames were not centered to the body from the factory, That may be why one of your wheels stick out more than the other. An easy way to check is to look underneath your TB, and measure the gap between the rocker panel and the frame. Then go underneath the other side of your car and compare measurements. MY 87 has the same problem, and my mechanic is the original owner of an 87, zero accidents, but has a worse off center problem than mine:eek:

There were rear ends that the mounting flanges were off GM tolerence allows for 1/4 inch. GM put new rearends in GN that were out over 1/4 inch.
You have to do all the measuring to see which side is out. Usually the drivers side was in and the passanger was out. My one friend you could see the front tire on the drivers side from behind.:frown:

Has anybody attempted to fix this problem? Or what are the options? I don't think it would be a quick fix.

Ok. I thought I read that before, just clarifying. Do you guys think it will be the same way in my malibu swap? Thanks.

My father's Monte SS is out just like my GN. Funny thing is I pulled the body off my GN this summer and there is not enough movement in the bushings to bring it back. We also did a body off on a friend's 67 GTO and it was out the same amount. I have had 3 78 Malibu's over the years and they were out the same way. I never heard of GM replacing rear ends for that reason and I used to deal with manufacturer claims and service bulletins. It also doesnt make sense because the axle shafts on all the G bodies are the same length from left to right. If one tube was longer than the other, then you would need 2 different length axle shafts. The only way I can see correcting it is trying to pull the rear over via adjustable upper control arms which I think is cheesy, using a wheel spacer on one side, having a new rear made with one tube longer than another option. Me personally, I am just going to leave mine the way it is.

The mounts were off in the jig so the axles are the same it is the mounts for the control arms.

The mounts were off in the jig so the axles are the same it is the mounts for the control arms.

GM has had the offset problem since the 60's. This is the first time I have ever heard of anything like that. Do you know which service bulletin they were replacing them under because I have friends who were working for GM back in the 70's and 80's and non of them ever heard of this. Just curious. Thanks!