rear wind deflector

Race Jace

Research, New Tech and Development
Staff member
I know on some of the faster cars, the rear bumper drag from underneath the car is significant. if we had a plastic piece that would bolt in there to take up that space it might be nice. the guys with fuel cells really need this piece. it is not as significant with cars with stock gas tanks like mine.

just thought i would throw that out there. might be somewhat easy to make.

Some Lincoln Town Cars (1995 or so ) have a plastic panel, underneath, from the rear bumper forward, about 2'x3', similar to what you propose.
We've used that piece up front here in Texas for front mount intercooler equipped TR's to help keep the pavement heat away. Very slight trimming needed, and it slides right in. It's almost like it's made for a TR. If the FMIC pipes were about two-three inches wider, it would go in as-is. It also helps direct airflow ala the ATR radiator block-off kit. Car runs cooler. Also fairly cheap, but it's basically just sheet plastic,(and it's black).
Not trying to hijack the thread, pretty much the same idea could be adapted
to the rear of car. Ground effects, from the bumper to front x-member, or rear tank area to rear bumper, as you propose.
I like your thinking.

HTH, Mike.