Rear tires both wearing on the inside??

wildcard

Gbody Finatic
I was wondering if anyone ever had both rear tires wear on the inside?? I just put on a new set of Nitto Drag Ratials and the insides are showing severe wear!!:confused: It would seem that the housing itself could be bent, but I can't find anything out of the ordinary.:confused:

Thanks
Ben

Sounds like a bent housing to me. Unless someone modified it for a bit of cambe(kile NASCAR guys do) for handling.
Phil

I was under the impression that was caused by too wide of a tire on too narrow of a rim.

Pulls the outsides of the tires inward forcing the center outward.

Or incorrect air pressure....

I took his meaning to be the edges of the tires toward the center of the vehicle. If it was the centers of the tires, or both inside and outside edges, I would agree- tire pressure.
Phil

The rear tires have 32psi and I check them constantly as this is the second set of these Nitto 555R that I have had on the car. The first set only lasted one year and thats just daily driving, not going to the track. The rims are 15x8's with a 4" back space and the tires are 275/50 15's. I have seen plenty of GN's set up with this size of tire and rim so I wouldn't think that it would be the problem.

Have the thrust angle checked. I have seen axle tubes slip in the diff housing cause dog tracking even on coil spring cars.

Several years ago I had the same problem on an '86. The axle tubes coming out of the housing were angled up and both tires wore as you describe. Short version, nobody knew why, I bought car that way. Had all the guts removed and put in another housing.

Oh yeah, I also have 5/16" wheel spacers in the back due to some clearance problems with the frame. Could these be my potential problem?

I had that problem when i was trying a pair of MT pro street tires in the 26x10.5/15 size but it never happened with any other ones i ran maybe try running 35 psi ? those dragradials dont seem to hold up too long in street / highway use :p

Sounds like the tubes are bent...it happens with hard launches and high HP. Take it to a real good alignment shop, one that does high performance work. They'll straighten it out for you. I remember a buddy's car: they chain down the outer ends, and jack up the center, then they should put some welds on the tube-to-center section joints.

My friends DR's are worn on the insides....went out and looked at my almost new ET Streets, they are also wearing on the insides.