Rear Suspension ?

corymc

i am in need of some serious rear suspension work right now all i have is stock uppers and lowers, stock sway bar, 2 air bags with hr spacers, kirbans pinion snubber, ta rear girdle and bilsteins on all 4 corners, also have 36 mm swaybar up front.

If i get on the gas at a dead stop all it does is spin like crazy.

i have been wanting to get a hr rear bar but am torn on what to do for the control arms. shoul di just buy the umi upper and lowers and then the hr swaybar or just buy the complete set up form hr parts. i like to buy a complete package due to all parts being from the same place and easier for customer service.

i dont know what kit to get i dont know if i should get adjustable uppers or not, or if the + 1/4 would be good for me or what kit would be best for my application.

i like to just take the car out and cruise around take it here and there. i have never been to a drag strip but would like to try it out a few times. any help from you experienced tr owners. i have read alot on here about it but am still torn about what i should do and any advice would be great.

i know i have some crappy tires they are 225 BFG's Comp T/A i am looking into gettin some new ones two.

That should be your next purchase. There is no amount of suspension work that will make you hook if your tires are poop.

Good luck!

i get pretty bad wheel hop too i just wonder what the best way to go is its cheaper to mix match brands and parts but wonderin if its better to go one way or the other just waiting to get insurance on the car so i can go and get some tires.

Couple of options here, I'd personally stay away from UMI lowers, I hate the bushings, they pop when under load. If you are good with a welder, just box the stockers and install a new set of bushings on the uppers and lowers. Get a used ATR bar and be done with it. Or look for a used set of Hotchkis lowers (my personal favorite and cheaper) or Metco are good too, just a little more pricey. If you are going to buy uppers, get UMI adjustables. Do it once and do it right. Start off with some decent tires though! ----Jeremy

Grumpy, these arms are great for the strip but as time goes by and the Polly breaks down and gets more brittle, they are very prone to binding which in turn causes popping sounds. Many people use them and are very happy with them so it's really individual opinion that matters. The Metco and hotchkis bushings are a hard rubber compound which wont bind. Another option is using Del-Rin bushings but they are pricey! I can get a heck of a deal for a set but for the average Joe, probably not worth the price. If you are replacing bushings on stockers, Moogs will work great! ------Jeremy

She has about 10k on hers .. when do you think they crap out ??? She/me drives this everyday in the summer :cool: I thought they worked good..

Hey Cory,

I have no wheel hop in the back and my car rides very tight in the corners.

Here is what I have:

UMI Lowers - yeah they bind a little when going up a curb entrance to a gas station at a sharp angle (i.e. rapid and severe height change) but otherwise are spiffy.

ATR 1.5 inch rear sway bar - what can I say....it is massive.

Monroe sensatrac crap shocks but they work well for me.

Will

She has about 10k on hers .. when do you think they crap out ??? She/me drives this everyday in the summer :cool: I thought they worked good..

Grumpy, when you regrease them, use Polly grease. You'll probably be fine as long as you dont use regular grease. Regular grease speeds up the breaking down process! If you have any other polly bushings, always use the polly grease! I normally dont use polly bushings in any components that move. Swaybar, end links, body bushings, etc are fine to use polly bushings. The general thinking is "Well, summit sells them, global west advertises them, they must be an upgrade". This is not true. Any true suspension guru will tell people to stay away from polly bushings!