Rear shock settings

northerngn

Master Monkeywrench
After this weekend of racing with the new anti roll bar in I see(and feel in the car!) that I need new rear shocks.
The stockers are too soft and cause the rear to plant hard, then bounce up unload the front and then retransfer causing a seconday wheelie(though small) I makes for quite a violent leave.
1.50 60 foot
I don't have time or money to do seperate testing on rear shock settings before the next race.
What are you guys running and would you care to share the settings?

-Dan

If it is hooking initially and then hazing the tires after the front starts to drop, you might be better off with some good double adjustable front shocks instead of upgrading the rears right now.

Shocks are not really the correct way to get rid of the squat. Adjusting the instant center is. Of course adjustable rear shocks are needed to get the most out of the setup. Check out baselinesuspensions.com. I highly recommend his rear suspension setup. The uppers come with buckets to properly adjust the instant center. The owner is also a frequent poster on here. Goes by Kevin S.

His site has a ton of good reading too. Very good info how the 4 link works. Yellowbullet.com is another awesome source for suspension setup info. You can spend days in the "stock suspension" section over there soaking in all the info.

I ran that rear set up with stock 86 springs and qa1 single adjustable on the front and rear. My best 60 was 1.37 which was good for the car because it was heavy and wasn't making a ton of power (mid 9's). Every car is going to be different but I was in the middle for the rear shocks and pretty tight up front. Was still messing with all the settings before I tore out the drivetrain. Unfortunately I don't have any good video of the newer setup mentioned above. The video in my signature was the before with major rear end squat. That was a mid 1.4 60'. After the mods, the rear didn't squat or separate from the tire.
I ran 28 x 10.5 stiff side wall m/T's and found that the car really liked 16 psi in them.

I agree. If its hooking initially and then getting a front end bounce it's because the extension on the front shocks is set to loose. Front end rise needs to be slowed down.