"Rear Mount" turbo for '97 Chevy P/U?

Roc87

11 Second V6
Visited STS rear mount turbos web site, but they don't offer a kit for the '97 Chevy p/u. I have the stock turbo just sitting there from my GN, looks pretty simple to install underneath the truck, theres a ton of room underneath. I'd just have to find a 3 bolt flange for the exhaust inlet (Is a header collector the same size) and extend the wires for the MAF. Have to find an electric oil pump, guess I'd tap the bottom of the oil pan for the inlet? Do you think a stock GN turbo would be appropiate size for a 350 with roughly 5 psi of boost? Doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to have a muffler shop fab some 2.5" or 3" pipe from the turbo to the throttle body, and at only 5 psi, exhaust pipe should be strong enough, right?

What do you all think????

The install doesnt appear to be that hard even if you fab it up your self. The biggest issue will be the fuel enrichment side of the equation. What are you going to do there ? You could do a FMU , u also need to do some thing about the timing .

STS turbo

These setups do work....work well? Well in our eyes, there is no match for a properly designed setup... I previously owned a '97 GMC fullsize Xcab on 35's, we built a single turbo setup using a new Garrett GT-40 turbo... And the stock CFI fuel injection setup (yes I know its junk) Truck went 12.70s spinning rear tires in 2wd with a bone stock motor and 12 psi intercooled.

I would expect with the STS that you will gain about 100hp @5 psi...and imagine that any more boost than that would be completely inefficient... These kits are for guys that want nothing more than a few xtra horsepower...nothing more!

;)

That's what I've got full size w/ 35's, stock gears too. I rather put on a turbo than change gears, don't want to beat vettes, but would like some more power. What kind of electronics did you have to have? How about a boost compensating fuel pressure reg.? I wouldn't mind going more than 5psi depending on fuel requirements......Figured I use a progressive SMC or Razor alky kits.

turbo

Originally posted by roc87
That's what I've got full size w/ 35's, stock gears too. I rather put on a turbo than change gears, don't want to beat vettes, but would like some more power. What kind of electronics did you have to have? How about a boost compensating fuel pressure reg.? I wouldn't mind going more than 5psi depending on fuel requirements......Figured I use a progressive SMC or Razor alky kits.

Yes it will work, we modified tunercat software (but ya didnt hear that from me) to work and be able to modify the stock injector fuel map. FMU is not the "right" way to do it but for 5# you wont hurt a thing.

WE put one on a BONE STOCK 02 Trans am automatic, and it went from a rear wheel power of 305, to 476 with 8.5#s of boost and methanol injection and a professional tune using the LS1Edit program, That 171HP gain
Pretty damn impressive if you ask me.
And would show that its not inefficient after 5#s as you say as long as methanol is added to control intake temps

I considered the possibilities of putting one on my '96 Dodge 5.9 (tow vehicle for my "T".) Talked to a guy from STS., but had a hard time swallowing the $3200. price minus the intake tube from intake to throttle body.....DA#%*&!!!!

Their price (Although I'm sure it's because they sell components that they have tested and you don't have to buy parts from 10 different companies) Is why I'm going to piece my own system together!