Rear main seal question in the category of "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

syclone98

I have a question about replacing the rear main seal and although I know I'll probably get a lot of responses along the lines of "if you've already dropped the oil pan then just go ahead and replace it", I'm going to ask it anyway. ;)

As mentioned, I do have the oil pan off as I had to replace a bad rod bearing. I purchased a new rear main seal and was getting to ready to install it as the car was leaking pretty bad before I started taking it apart.

The thing that got me second guessing my decision however was that when I took a look at where you have would expected to see oil (right where the crank exits the back of the block) I didn't see any evidence that it had been leaking from there.

Where I did find evidence of a leak was around the very rear of the pan and a few inches up each side. Coincidentally (or not, depending on how you look at), several of the rear oil pan bolts were only just tight enough to keep from falling out and weren't even close to what they should have been. Based on this, my guess is that the rear seal may have been replaced by the previous owner and not all of the oil pan bolts got tightened properly.

So now that I've bored everyone to tears, does this sound more like a leaky oil pan instead of a problem with the seal itself? I know it might look like I'm being lazy but as I said in the title of this post, if it ain't broke then why fix it?

Christopher

I had a similar problem and I had my buddy mechanic put dye in my oil to see exactly where it was coming from (since we knew it was from the bottom end and were gonna drain the oil anyway) and it ended up being the rear main :mad: but we got it fixed up. So that might be an option to pin point your problem. I dont know if you can get dye at an auto parts store. Never tried but worth a look.
HTH
-Andrew

The pans already off and you’ve already purchased the parts? I would replace it.

If you do decide to change the rear main make sure you index the seal so that the split between the seal upper/lower isn't lined up with the split between the cap/block...about 1/4" will do...IMO these motors will always leak oil but it does help...hey it's not leaking oil...it's sweating from all the horsepower..:biggrin:

If you do decide to change the rear main make sure you index the seal so that the split between the seal upper/lower isn't lined up with the split between the cap/block...about 1/4" will do...IMO these motors will always leak oil but it does help...hey it's not leaking oil...it's sweating from all the horsepower..:biggrin:

Damn I wish mine would work up a sweat!!:biggrin: lol