Rear main seal problems?

Esasky's85GN

RACE ME WITH WHAT?
Gents,

Has any one had problems with their rear main seals going bad? My car is leaking oil pretty bad but I cant tell if it is coming from the rear main or from the oil pan. Any clues or tricks I should know about?

Spank

:D

I have the same problem,but I am pretty sure it is my rear main. To change the rear main you have to take off the oil plan anyway, so both seals get replaced. The rear main seems to be a VERY common leak on these cars from what I have read.

Ah yes

Apparently they all do. I just bought a Fel-pro kit, I had one (a seal) that came with the car. I like the fel pro better. Search around here and you will find plenty of info, not a job for the faint of heart. The put some kind of rope seal at the factory in to compensate for varing machining tolerences.

Very common.. I stopped my leak by going to non synethic oil. Stopped it completly..

Is it true that you have to pull the rear main cap off of the car as well? What does synthetic oil have to do with a rear main leaking?

Spank

:D

da main leak

If ya don't have a replaced with neoprene rear main seal it more than likely does leak, with or without dino oil. Pay someone $100 or DIY. It is possible the valve covers are leaking. When they leak off the back edge the oil trails down and drips off the flywheel dust cover! :eek: :rolleyes:

Everything is pretty straight forward on the seal replacement w/ a lil' mech knowhow.

One tip...might have to turn the motor over a lil' for the pan to clear the crank.
Also stagger the seal(neoprene wedge not rope) so the ends are in the block/cap and not were they meet.

I just bought my 86 GN last week with a nasty oil leak. The previous owner told me it was the rear main seal and added it was replaced a few years back. To my delight, I pulled the pan and realized the rear main was good. 3 days after only the replacing the oil pan and NO LEAKS! I lucked out!

I just bought my 86 GN last week with a nasty oil leak. The previous owner told me it was the rear main seal and added it was replaced a few years back. To my delight, I pulled the pan and realized the rear main was good. 3 days after only the replacing the oil pan and NO LEAKS! I lucked out!:D