Rear Feed Line into Proportioning Valve.

Morbid

I was able to successfully install the Rear Feed Brake Line with the help of a fellow board member.

Replaced the hose that goes from that line to the rear axle while I was at it. So far so good.

I'm working with pre bent SS lines from Classic Tubes (I brought the complete Brake kit) and every line I replaced (all 4 wheel lines) had to fight to get the fittings threaded in. Now the rear feed line won't thread into the proportioning valve. Is there some trick?

The old fitting goes back in fine so the threads in the valve are okay.

Also in getting the old line out I snapped a bolt for the trans cross-member. The bushings are shot anyway but the point is can I drive/move the car with one side of the cross-member unbolted.

I ask cause I may need to have the car towed to the shop about a 1/2 mile from my house and let them deal with getting the line into the prop valve and then drive it home.

I feel so dejected after doing all that hard work getting the line in which the shop wouldn't do if I paid them just to get my ass whooped by a cheesy fitting.

Thanks.

Lines can be a pain to get lined up. You can loosen the valve from the frame to angle it out a little.

1 bolt should not be a problem. Just no whole shots. ;)

RL

You know I never thought of that. I'll give it shot.

In fact after I replaced the Brake Hose on the rear axle that connects to this pipe, I needed to unbolt the block part at the axle to get one of those new Classic Tube lines in.

Another board member a has confirmed that these lines are a bear to install. Too long and the angle of end I'm working with is off.
I'll hold off and sending it to the shop and try some of these suggestions.

Removed the two (2) bolts for the combination valve yesterday but still no love.
Stopped @ AutoZone on the way to work today to grab a female 9/16"-18 inverted flare fitting so I could check and see if the threads on nut for this line are okay.
Found out the nut on these brake lines is a non-standard size (9/16"-18 UNF exists 9/16-18 UNC does not) so no hope of chasing/re-threading the nut if it was messed up.

Called Classic Tube and both Tim (aka the guy with the Grand National) and Don were every bit the customer service people I expect from the company.
They know I live less than 45 min's drive away and offered to re-bend the line and or put a new fitting on the line. Whatever I wanted all I have to do was bring the line up.
I declined at the moment and explained to them what a hassle it is to get this line into the car in the first place. Whatever fix needs to happen it's going to happen w/the line on the car.

Got home and figured if the nut doesn't go into the fitting I brought I'm going to have to cut the SS line, put another nut on and re-flare the line. Tools for which I do not have.
Nut threaded into the fitting I brought, thank god. Played with the line some more, this time looking at how it goes in from the Drivers door side and not from underneath.

And what do you know, after 4 days of trying for hours. The damn thing went in. I mean I was like shocked.
No leaks so far. Still need to bleed the brakes but for now I'm taking a breather.

TurboBuick.com --> We don't need no stink'in shop!!