Rear end?

HI85WH1

Shhh... I've got a Secret
OK, now I need to change rear ends in my SS... from the look of the cover, there are little pieces rolling around in the diff.

Anyone have a T/R 8.5 laying around they want to sell? (Prefer Posi, but if its cheap enough, I will consider non posi)

let me know... I cant drive the SS until I resolve this... :(

TIA, Rob

Rob,

Did you open the cover and do a visual inspection? May be something that can be replaced cheaper than getting a whole rearend. Just a thought...:D

Steve, I checked after I PM'd you yesterday...

Pulled the cover, didn't see anything out of place.. at first...

As I drained the oil out, I saw something in the bottom of the housing... pulled it out... and found a piece of the ring gear... (I guess it shifts a little too hard...damn shift kit) I dont see any other damage other than the cover and the ring and pinion.

But, looking at the cost of parts to replace the ring and pinion, and labor... I figure I might try and find a G80/G87 rear... I would prefer one out of a T/R as the SS also has 3.42:1's BUt I do know where there is a 442 parked and sitting... :p

Unless someone knows who does rear end work at reasonable prices... (might go to 4.10:1 if I do R&R gears) and quality work.

Hey Rob, try Freddy's machine shop 596-8315 if you need a rear end set up. I can't remember the exact price quoted, but do recall it being very inexpensive. Clyde (I believe that is his name) said he would also machine new carrier side shims (1 piece) as opposed to stacking shims like those supplied in installation kits if new shims were needed. The only catch was I was told to bring the rear end by itself as he (Clyde) told me he refuses to work under the car on his back.

Derek Might have a rear end he may seperate with for a resonable offer:D

Originally posted by KENNE-BILL
Hey Rob, try Freddy's machine shop 596-8315 if you need a rear end set up. I can't remember the exact price quoted, but do recall it being very inexpensive. Clyde (I believe that is his name) said he would also machine new carrier side shims (1 piece) as opposed to stacking shims like those supplied in installation kits if new shims were needed. The only catch was I was told to bring the rear end by itself as he (Clyde) told me he refuses to work under the car on his back.

Mick,

That sounds just like Clyde... you do for him, he makes cheap for you... I have always had positive experiences with him... I guess since the car is up on stands... maybe I'll start pulling it out... It's gonna come out to replace or repair...

Koa,

Can you get ahold of Derek? I would'nt want to disturb him while hes with the G/F...

Thanks guys...

Rob

I know somebody with a posi rear-end.....Just talked to him tonight @ the tracks too. Call me and I'll give you his number.

Howzit Gerald!

Is this a T/R rear? And how much does your friend want?

FWIW, as much as I want another T/R, for now I have decided to keep my SS (with all the $$$$$ I have dumped into it over the past 3 years...) at least for 2-3 more years so I can enjoy it. Maybe I can find a T/R drivetrain along the way to do the swap...

Hey BTW... I cant call you if I dont have your number!

or call me during the day tomorrow... 291-1328... dont forget to unblock calls... I hate "private" numbers

Have Rear End (for my car) Actually, I have a couple now...

One out of an '87 - 442 (3.73:1, with posi) Bought the whole car...

And one more... details to follow...