Rear end rebuild

Jorgy

Newly boosted
I'm going in Tuesday to have my rear end rebuilt. The limited slip is not locking in so in effect I'm driving a peg-legger. Hoepfully it just needs a clutch kit. Are there any issues to look out for or performance parts I should be looking at? Thanks!

Do you know if it is the stock factory G80 limited slip differential?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That's the one area on this car that I can't find info on. It does not list G80 on the trunk sticker. The only reason I believe it was limited slip is that both wheels spin the same way when off the ground.

It could have been fitted with a LSD. If it were me I'd pull the rear cover and see what you have for sure. Most LSDs can be rebuilt but some can't. If it can't or there isn't a Posi in it already you are looking at a lot more money to get it taken care of.

It's got a 6265 turbo, Hofer tranny and a 3000 rpm stall converter. I can't believe the guy would run that through one tire, but I'll find out tomorrow.

I agree. So getting back to your original question. You could put in a set of Mosure axles to add extra strength/piece of mind over the stock ones. I don't know if there is any thing special that is done when the clutch packs are replaced.

Please update as to what was found for a diff in the rear end.

It has a LSD in it but the clutches are shot. Apparently you can't get a clutch kit for the stockers any more? The tranny place is recommending a Power Trax but I'm also considering the Eaton. Any preferences?

I have an Eaton. I can't say if one is better than the other or not. I think Eaton originally made the LSDs for GM. Sucks that nobody makes clutch kits for those any more!

I guess there is a clutch kit out there from gbodyparts.com. It's $200 though. That's probably a good half way towards a complete new system.

Did they quote you a price yet? I'm thinking $800???

Install kit with bearings is about $100 then whatever they charge for labor.

Id be interested in your stock piece if you decide to sell it.