Rear End Rebuild

captndave737

I have a clunk in my rear end and the pinion seal is leaking quite a bit so I'm about to install new axles and bearings, Ring and Pinion and rebuild the differential. In 1989 I installed a Reider Racing limited slip carrier in my peg leg GN. The part # was GM10/LSH. It has a clutches and an s spring and was a direct bolt in replacement.

I have 2 questions:
1- does anyone know if this is an Eaton Carrier and if the Eaton type replacement
clutches will fit?

2- who makes the best stock 3:42 ring and pinion gear set?

Unless someone knows what Reider was selling back in 1989, you will probably have to post some photos.

I have installed gear sets from Precision Gear, Zoom, and Richmond for the 8.5" 10-bolt. All have worked out fine.

Got the differential out. Can anyone identify who made it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 172
Also I screwed up and didn't measure preload before removing the pinion nut. Anyone have any suggestions?

Looks like the typical GM posi-traction unit.

I never checked pinion bearing pre-load before disassembly. I had always checked pinion bearing pre-load by hand rotating the pinion yoke with the new bearings and crush collar. Tighten a little...check the pre-load, repeat. With enough pre-load it takes a good bit of effort to rotate the pinion. But you can still rotate the pinion by hand.

You are going to install a new crush collar, correct?

Ok, mine say's 3-5 inch pounds more than was measured before removing the pinion nut. Im installing new everything except spider gears.

I rebuilt mine several years ago and put a new crush collar in had to torque the pinion nut mine was 250 foot pounds then measure resistant with a inch pound torque wrench while turning the pinion nut was around 5 inch pound to get proper pre load

Thanks, I know it takes a lot to crush the sleeve. I finally identified my after market Posi. Stock GM.

Looks like the typical GM posi-traction unit.

I never checked pinion bearing pre-load before disassembly. I had always checked pinion bearing pre-load by hand rotating the pinion yoke with the new bearings and crush collar. Tighten a little...check the pre-load, repeat. With enough pre-load it takes a good bit of effort to rotate the pinion. But you can still rotate the pinion by hand.

You are going to install a new crush collar, correct?
You had it right. Stock GM unit.

yes I brought a dewalt 3/4 electric impact home from work to do mine my car was at home and was rebuilding off the floor instead of using the two post lift at the shop couldn't get enough on it with a 1/2 drive and cheater bar (would hit on ground be for got enough torque) so I cheater almost torqued to much LOL

I'm working on the floor as well. I might have to gently nudge it with my impact wrench!