Rear end question

JimG

Im not sure if this is the right category for this question, but here it goes.
After driving my 87 GN at speed on the highway or just out for an hours drive, when i return home and am in the underground parking lot, I hear squeeking coming from the rear end,usually when turning. Havent noticed it when out, or when driving in a straight line. It also turns up when reversing. I dont notice it after a short drive though. My maintenance records show a gear oil change about 5,000 miles ago, and I havent really driven too hard since ( no boost launches,etc) It is a G80 though and the car has approximatley 80.000 miles.
Any ideas?
thanks
Jim

usually mine would make clicking or worse, poping sounds when turning corners indicating service is needed.

might be time to check your clutch pack, change fluid and dont forget to put 2 bottles of GM additive if you have a limited slip differential

john

Im not sure if this is the right category for this question, but here it goes.
After driving my 87 GN at speed on the highway or just out for an hours drive, when i return home and am in the underground parking lot, I hear squeeking coming from the rear end,usually when turning. Havent noticed it when out, or when driving in a straight line. It also turns up when reversing. I dont notice it after a short drive though. My maintenance records show a gear oil change about 5,000 miles ago, and I havent really driven too hard since ( no boost launches,etc) It is a G80 though and the car has approximatley 80.000 miles.
Any ideas?
thanks
Jim

I have had 2 GN's and a 85 442 and they all did this but the additive helped tremendously. The 442 did it real bad from day one, so since there is a difference from car to car maybe it can be eliminated.

My weld wheels would click and crack when i was turning, also would make odd noises when the lug nuts were loose!!!

What size tires are you running? Do you think that they could be wide enough that they are rubbing the frame?

Wonder if you have any poly bushings in the rear suspension parts, and not the squishy factory ones?

BW