Rear end alignment

blacknfast

Hi,
I installed the h&r bar, upper and lower control arms and the rear end is out of alignment.
Anyone ever had this problem, or know a good fix? I took the car to the alignment shop for an all wheel alignment and they told me it was out about 1/2" out from side to side, measured from the front wheels to the rear. They want 200.00 to fix it and told me they need to add some shims?
Any comments would be helpfull.
Thanks,

Blacknfast

The front end is fine. they had to remove shims.
I watched them take the measurements.
When I drove it home it felt alot better ,but still could feel the rear pulling.

Thanks

Maybe I am way off here, but there isn't any way to "shim" the read end is there???

thats why I thought he meant front end.

unless you have double adjustables forget about squaring the rear end, it is what it is.

Rear End Align

Unless The Lower Control Arms Are Adjustable, There Is No Way To Align Rear. Shims Will Not Work. Is It Possible The Frame Mounts Are Pulled Or Bent??did You Take Measurments Side To Side On The Frame?? My Friend Had A Simlar Issue,his Was Off Slightly Side To Side, He Purchased The Weld On Brace Kit To Make That Area Stronger.. Maby You Have A Bent Axle Tube..i Just Cant Think What The Align Shop Wants To Shim In The Rear???

That's what I thought, I didn't think I could get any shims in there.
So I guess I have to loosen up the uppers and lowers and pull it in?
I have all of the new components on that H&R sells for the rear end except the bracing.
Tha uppers are not adjustable.
I'll have to check on the frame bracing Idea.
It felt a bunch better with the front aligned.
However on one of my test drives after the install, I nailed it and heard a loud popping sound. I might have a broken a mount? I don't know.

Thanks for replies......

It sounds like you have the same or similar rear kit as I do, except my uppers are adjustable. Here are a few pics of the frame kit installed. It's a great idea and didn't take long to do.

Attachments

• 2103807710049674534lkNpQO_fs (Large).jpg
    2103807710049674534lkNpQO_fs (Large).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 262
  • 2860792370049674534OZGaNo_fs (Large).jpg
    2860792370049674534OZGaNo_fs (Large).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 264
  • 2562741380049674534zoYbfW_fs.jpg
    2562741380049674534zoYbfW_fs.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 2336821910049674534LdCfaF_fs (Large).jpg
    2336821910049674534LdCfaF_fs (Large).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 237
Same kit,
I think I need to see if something bent or busted and install the frame support kit.
Do you know if the kit is cut at the correct angle?
If it was broken or bent the angle would be out right?
Or?

Thanks

Same kit,
I think I need to see if something bent or busted and install the frame support kit.
Do you know if the kit is cut at the correct angle?
If it was broken or bent the angle would be out right?
Or?

Thanks

Yes, my brace kit came cut pretty much at perfect angles.

well you cant adjust the rear side to side unless you have adjustable uppers. The lowers only move it front/back.. I would measure from the dustcap on each front wheel to the center of axle on each side to be sure the wheelbase is the same. It could be off a tad and actually making the rear dogwalk and put the suspension in a bind.

great post. mine is off as well but i want to do more messurements. so far they have all come out ok

was just thinking and remembered the lower arm length from bolt center to center on the front and rear mounting points is supposed to be around 18-1/4". I'd check that first and if all is well then do the wheelbase measurement. It could be the lower frame mounts are tweaked.

was just thinking and remembered the lower arm length from bolt center to center on the front and rear mounting points is supposed to be around 18-1/4". I'd check that first and if all is well then do the wheelbase measurement. It could be the lower frame mounts are tweaked.

not trying to highjack the thread. mine i think got thrown off when i snapped my axle and the car came down on the rear end. changed rearends and its been off ever since.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies I really appreciat them.
Okay I returned home after a long day and took some measurements. The lower control arms measure the same on each side at about 18 1/4", looking under the car at the mounts it looked like the passinger side had been bent so I took some measurements from the back of the front rim and the front of the rear. the passengers side masured 91 1/2" the drivers side measured 92 1/2" looks like it is out about an inch.
Now what?
Frame shop?

Thanks
Blacknfast

Frame

First Of All, Need To Find Out If The Problem Is In The Rear Or Front.. 1) Simple Measurement Tram Or Measure Center Section(hole Behind Frt Wheel,hole On Front Of Rear Wheels)make Sure You Use The Same Holes Side To Side.. This Will Tell You The Center Section Is Correct(no Diamond Condition) My Friend Had A Simular Issue,turns Out His Rf Wheel Was Back 3/4 In, A Short Measurement From Hole Behind Fr Wheel To The Center Of The Ball Joint. We Then Talked To My Buddy's Good Friend "richard Clark" He Said There Were Many Buicks That Had The Rf Wheel Set Back Some(never Hit) This Summer I Plan On Pulling The Rf Wheel-frame To Make Both Wheels (ball Joint Measurments) The Same.soooo Back To The Back... You Need To Check(with A Tram Bar) And Make Sure The Rear Axle Is Sitting Square Or The Same Distance(from A Reference Hole) On Both Sides, It Should Be Very Close Measurements. If I Remember Correctly My Friends Was About 1/8 Difference Which I Feel Was Within A Reasonable Amount.. Hope This Helps..

pretty much what he said^^^

plumb bob it from the frame somewhere up near the front of the doors at the same point on each side. If it shows the mounts are off then bring it to a good chassis shop and have them get the rear squared. If its the front then I guess a frame shop to see what they can do to pull it.