Rear Downforce Wing

The design of the base mounting for the wing is finished. Time to grab a couple chunks of aluminum.

Do you have a data log of a run I could look at and incrementals with mph and time?

Do you have a data log of a run I could look at and incrementals with mph and time?
I have a thread in the Brake and Suspension section that has a few datalogs with explanations. Let me know if you need anything more.

I've learned that the P51 Mustang airfoil created around 1935 has been used often on other aircraft, and on race cars to this day. A very popular profile. One of the first airfoils to introduce natural laminar flow.

I found another airfoil profile that looks very intriguing. Verbitsky Be50 free flight airfoil (original). Impressive lift to drag at low AOA.

After more research it appears that though the Be50 profile is not considered state of the art, it is a well respected profile in the sail plane crowd. Often a standard that other profiles are compared against.

With a chord of 11", width of 62":
2 degrees of AOA at 160 mph, 144 pounds of downforce.
3 degrees of AOA at 160 mph, 177 pounds.
2 degrees of AOA at 100 mph, 56 pounds.
3 degrees of AOA at 100 mph, 68 lbs.
6 degrees of AOA at 160 mph, 275 lbs.

First thoughts are to build the wing using the foam core method with carbon fiber mat shell.

So you have dropped the Pro-stock style wing idea ?
This is something I am kicking around for my TSO car since the factory spoiler is gone, but more of a mini nascar style with adjustable struts.

So you have dropped the Pro-stock style wing idea ?
This is something I am kicking around for my TSO car since the factory spoiler is gone, but more of a mini nascar style with adjustable struts.
After I have the wing base mounts on the trunk lid, I'm going to make up a grid that I can mount stringers on and do some tests with a video camera of the airflow patterns off the back of the roof, over the trunk lid, over and off the stock spoiler, and off the back of the car. I want to find where the turbulent flow and the clean flow are.
If there is a lot of turbulent flow in the vicinity of the stock spoiler, I think more can be had with a wing mounted higher in clean air.
This will probably be the first serious attempt to investigate the airflow patterns with our rear window body style.

I've decided to mount the wing by the end plates. The wing will be trunk lid width or a little wider, so the end plates will fit into the side edge body clearances for the trunk lid. This way, I won't have to drill holes through the trunk lid.
The wing is on hold for the moment. I'm going to design and build a ground effects device first and see how that helps. I've had a break through and have the exact design pictured in my head. I'm very excited. This is going to be revolutionary. My X frame is going to be the perfect mounting structure for the device. It will be removeable so that the car can be quickly loaded into the trailer. The device will have some features that will make the car safer in the case of a fluid spill from the engine bay. The front of the device will begin at about the middle of where the transmission is located.

Free downforce!

Someone posted a trunk with an aluminum wing on it in the for sale section Donnie. No pice but you might see if he can give you pics for a rough idea.:)

You should jack the front way up to match the back, that way you could use the car off road as well as at the drag strip. Around here we call it the "Waterford Kit".

Pretty cool.

You should jack the front way up to match the back, that way you could use the car off road as well as at the drag strip. Around here we call it the "Waterford Kit".

Pretty cool.
Huh? :confused:
You country boys are way too advanced for me.

If I'm right about this, there should be enough downforce created by this device to pull the rear end of the car down 1/2 to an inch when at speed. 125 to 250 lbs of downforce.

Thinking out loud.
The car presently wants to nose down on the top end. The flat plane of the ground effects before the rear tires will need to be flat or a little nosed down at that point. Flat would be fine with the splitter providing some down force at midsection of the car. Take into account that the rear may drop more with the diffuser.
Diffuser angle not to exceed 10 degrees. Start of diffuser just in front of the rear tires. Check for clearance problems. The whole ground effects, including the diffuser will have to be removeable for trailer loading or lifting the car.
Can the diffuser have an increasing angle to provide for some clearance issues with the rear axle? Just don't exceed 10 degrees.
The side panels of the diffuser may need to slide up and down due to launch issues.

my green hornes makes me wonder why drag spoilers are so different compared to nascar spoilers what are the positives and negatives of the two

my green hornes makes me wonder why drag spoilers are so different compared to nascar spoilers what are the positives and negatives of the two
Pro stock style spoilers are designed to smooth out the flow of air coming off the back of the car improving stability, create a low pressure zone under the spoiler to provide some downforce and do both without creating a lot of drag.
The Nascar spoiler provides a lot more downforce, but with a lot more drag which controls top speeds. I believe both designs are tightly controlled by rules to control downforce, drag and top speeds.
True inverted wings are becoming more popular in the drag racing ranks, other than Top Fuel which learned of the advantages a long time ago. I'm noticing more Pro Mod teams are using true wings now.

Looks like the diffuser will have to start after the rear axle housing.
How thick to make the bottom flat plate, which will incorporate the forward section splitter? I'm thinking thinner than 1/8".