rear disc kits

80booya

Hi people! I am looking to put a rear brake setup on my 86 GN with the factory rearend. Has anyone used a kit from either ssbc or wilwood and if so how did it work and look and do you remember part numbers any help is great!!! thanks in advance to any help Tim

Well Seems Like No Help.....i Found A Company Today That Does Front And Backs Thanks Anyhow....tim

Hey Tim, Got a name of this mystical magical company? I'm thinking of doing this too.

I didn't respond earlier because I know nothing about any kits from either Wilwood or SSBC. I can say that the Baer rear kit is an easy install and works great.

+2 on the Baer kit, great for a street car. :)

No experience with the other kits.

Then again maybe Baer is the company you found? :cool:

Just put the Wilwood race rear kit on my GN. Works GREAT. I did a few hard stops and am very impressed. No more fade when slowing down from high speed. Holds 5 PSI on the foot brake easily, I'm sure it would hold more but I didn't try.

Part number depends on your rear-end style. C-clip, elmininators, ford ends....

Actually I ordered the race kit from Aerospace.........It was the most detailed for direct fit. Of course I didn't install it yet. But they were the best priced too........I will be installing these this weekend and I will post pics and info......thanks again Tim

Just put the Wilwood race rear kit on my GN. Works GREAT. I did a few hard stops and am very impressed. No more fade when slowing down from high speed. Holds 5 PSI on the foot brake easily, I'm sure it would hold more but I didn't try.

I called Wilwood tech today....They didn't seem to helpful, love there product but not real positive on the tech guy I got....So I continued looking and called Aerospace the tech guy there new his ****...He new everything about the GN's. Made it very easy to deal with !!!!!!UNTIL THE INSTALL coming this weekend we'll see>!!!!!!!!

I called Wilwood tech today....They didn't seem to helpful, love there product but not real positive on the tech guy I got....So I continued looking and called Aerospace the tech guy there new his ****...He new everything about the GN's. Made it very easy to deal with !!!!!!UNTIL THE INSTALL coming this weekend we'll see>!!!!!!!!

keep us posted, i need to do a drag kit on my GN soon too...

Actually I ordered the race kit from Aerospace.........It was the most detailed for direct fit. Of course I didn't install it yet. But they were the best priced too........I will be installing these this weekend and I will post pics and info......thanks again Tim

Your welcome. Good luck and let us know how it works out with the Aerospace kit.

I have this kit on my car. You will have to buy some adapters for the brake lines they dont come with the kit. Other than that I like it.

No you just need a 1/8 npt to what flare fitting you have on the brake line. It screws into the caliper. You will also have to cut the top of the axle tube bracket off where the wheel cylinder mounts.

hey Tim.. look me up next time you got g-body questions!!

aerospace is the only one who makes a rear drag brake "kit" for the 8.5 housing ends. The aerospace bracket fits both the 8.5 and 12bolt.

now I haven't researched this a whole lot but I have heard from Mike at TRZ that Strange and aerospace calipers can be crossed over to each others brackets... I believe he said Wilwood as well.

So.. if thats the case then you can order rear Strange brakes minus the caliper bracket, then buy Aerospace caliper brackets. The only thing you may need to do is shim the caliper inboard to get them to line up correct. And shimming is not a big deal as every brake setup almost always needs a shim.

I heard Strange discounts like $20 per bracket off the kit and Aerospace gets like $30 a bracket.. basically a wash.

and Tim.. instead of all that grinding you coulda just got a 1st gen F-body spindle, 1st gen F-body upper balljoint and used TRZ billet steering arms and the brakes simply bolt on with no grinding or modifications whatsoever plus the spindles save a few pounds over the G-body ones.

did I mention I'm also a dealer for TRZ so hit me up when ya need somethin

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the real world information!

I'm putting together a 9-inch and am trying to decide between new drums & discs. Ability to hold some boost was my main concern with rear discs. If you're able to hold 5-psi at your power level (similar to where I'll be) that's plenty good for me. May I ask a few questions?

• Can you say more about which Wilwood kit you went with? I've looked at their website and see several different race options. What other options did you look at and decide against?
    [*]spacer
  • Fit good with 15" wheels?
    [*]spacer
  • Any street use?
    [*]spacer
  • You using a manual brake setup? If so, which master cylinder are you using?

Real world feedback like yours is so valuable-- thanks again for posting.

hey Tim.. look me up next time you got g-body questions!!

aerospace is the only one who makes a rear drag brake "kit" for the 8.5 housing ends. The aerospace bracket fits both the 8.5 and 12bolt.

now I haven't researched this a whole lot but I have heard from Mike at TRZ that Strange and aerospace calipers can be crossed over to each others brackets... I believe he said Wilwood as well.

So.. if thats the case then you can order rear Strange brakes minus the caliper bracket, then buy Aerospace caliper brackets. The only thing you may need to do is shim the caliper inboard to get them to line up correct. And shimming is not a big deal as every brake setup almost always needs a shim.

I heard Strange discounts like $20 per bracket off the kit and Aerospace gets like $30 a bracket.. basically a wash.

and Tim.. instead of all that grinding you coulda just got a 1st gen F-body spindle, 1st gen F-body upper balljoint and used TRZ billet steering arms and the brakes simply bolt on with no grinding or modifications whatsoever plus the spindles save a few pounds over the G-body ones.

did I mention I'm also a dealer for TRZ so hit me up when ya need somethin
thanks for all the late info!!!LOLOLOLOL. I know the front strange kit I put on th BU. Fit like a glove......These were nice but they were not very helpful with there paper instructions.......I got them and I love them,work great.......the rear kit really was cake......I didnt have to do nothing but remove the old and drill two holes in each side to make it a 4 bolt connection each side to the flange.............

• Can you say more about which Wilwood kit you went with? I've looked at their website and see several different race options. What other options did you look at and decide against?
    [*]spacer
  • Fit good with 15" wheels?
    [*]spacer
  • Any street use?
    [*]spacer
  • You using a manual brake setup? If so, which master cylinder are you using?

I have a 8.5" with ford ends, I'll look up the part number tomorrow.
The hubs are a little bit thicker then the the aluminum drums I use to have. Maybe a 1/16 of an inch, probably less. Works fine with a 15x10 wheel, 10.5 tire and a frame notch.
I decided against the drilled rotors and went with solids. I've had drilled one's crack on other cars.
My street use is minimal. Maybe a few hundred miles in the last six months. Yes I'm using a manual S-10 master cylinder. I did a few max effort stops and all four tires lock up at the same time.

I also went with Wilwoods. They are the Dynalite Pro Series rear axle disc kit. Solid rotors. Ford ends on a Moser 12 bolt housing. Excellent braking compared to the large Ford drums that were on it before. Don't have any info on brake only starts. I use a transbrake. They fit well in Weld Aluma Stars 15x10s. Don't stack the wheel balancing weights though. I use a manual Strange dual inline master cylinder and a manual proportioning valve.

Sorry for coming in late with this info.