Rear Disc Help!

deuce4935

Has anyone tried installing a rear disc brake setup on GN? I was told that a setup from any 93-97 Trans or Camaro is suppose to be a direct bolt on but according to the gentleman at my local brake/exh shop it ain't quite that easy. He said something to the effect of my original drum backing plates being welded on and the disc brake backing plate is a bolt on. I figure if that is true then perhaps the drum backing plate can be cut but I wanted some insight before taking the cutter to my rearend.

I have the LS1 (2002 trans am ) front and rear disc on mine anad they work pretty good. not a direct bolt on some fab is required. do a search and check on monte carlo ss site. thats where i got my info. hth

Hey Todd

Great looking tires, love the center caps!!!

Have you made any extra wheel caps that you want to sell?

dave

Thanks, those where just some one-offs I dreamed up.
Sorry, didn't make any extras. Wish I had more time to make custom stuff.

I think I have the backing plates I took off a rear end that had the "Baer rear discs"

Hey Dan, just curious, but does the Bear backing plate bolt on to stock G-body axle without any mods(cutting, drilling,ect)? Never really looked at those kits real close.

Hey Dan, just curious, but does the Bear backing plate bolt on to stock G-body axle without any mods(cutting, drilling,ect)? Never really looked at those kits real close.

from what I remember (old age) they were bolt on plates from Baer :cool:

Will this work on a 7.5" 10-bolt rear? I'd assume so but you know what they say about that... Pontentially picking up a G-body and since its going to be an open road cruising car with either a bone stock 300 Buick V8 or a mild NA V6 I don't think I need an 8.5" upgrade.

Thanks,

yes, the LS1 rears, the fronts I know are the same spindles so no need to even question them.

Yes I have.

My dads GN was a 9sec street car. He wanted to do rear disc to help stop in the 1/4 mile. And it wouldnt hold 25* of boost, whereas the drums would. So we took them off and just ran drums.

What proportional valve where you running?
Having an adjustable prop valve allows you to put more pressure to the rears thus giving more holding power.
If the stock prop valve was still on the car that might have contributed to not enough line pressure to hold the brakes(disks) at that boost level.
I am running a t-brake on my car so no issue with holding boost at the line, but have easily held 15-17 lbs on the foot brake in the past.
If the brake system is set up correctly disks should hold as good as drums.
Impressive that he was able to hold 25 lbs at the line on a 9 sec car, must be a nice set-up.
Quite a bit of info here about the prop valve when swapping to disks.