Rear Disc Brakes

olds443

Anyone put rear discs on their G-body? What did you use? GM parts would be preferred.
nyone tried 94-96 Impala SS brakes? I read somewhere that they have a 8.5 rear.
Also, I think I saw it in Car Craft or something where they say something about using Explorer discs.
I already have the 12" front conversion with B-body master and Hotchkis control arms/ Eibach springs.
I put aluminum drums on the rear (T Type rear) but can't help but think how much better it may stop/handle with rear discs.

And yes I know about Baer and all those but that's $$$$ and I would rather use factory parts. Easier/chepaer to replace.
Any input or ideas out there?

I have not done rear disc on a G-body but you might look to the old '81 pontiac trans am turbo 301 V8 car for answers. these cars did have rear disc and I believe it was also an 8.5" rear so the backing plate flanges may be the same as the G-body 8.5!

One thing tho, I seem to think that disc brakes don't have the holding power of a drum brake system so you may have trouble building boost at the line. However, the disc system is more resistant to fade compared to the drum. There are tradeoffs. Good luck.

Originally posted by olds443
Anyone put rear discs on their G-body? What did you use?
And yes I know about Baer and all those but that's $$$$ and I would rather use factory parts. Easier/chepaer to replace.
Any input or ideas out there?

I used the PST kit.
I found it used so it was a resonablely priced deal.

One gotcha, is sometimes the lower shock mount gets in the way, and PST has an adapter to move it over. Ugly but it works.

There was a guy on ebay selling plates for using the FBody calipers and rotors, but I lost his addy.

Thanks guys.
I have only ever seen one 2nd gen. TTA in the junkyard, they are kinda rare and I believe the only ones that came with rear discs.
Needless to say the complete rear was the first thing to sell.
As far as the boost concerns, very interesting.
Is there anyone who has tried this on a turbo regal?
How well did it work out?

Look for an 85 Caddy with rear discs. There was a thread about this not too long ago they recomended a guy on EBay that makes brackets. His kit requires the use of 81 T/A rear rotors, 85 Caddy calipers, and he includes a parts list for all the required hardware. Try doing the search on EBay for disc brakes.