Rear Control Arm bushings

Real-T

Hello All,

Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but what are/would be the pros and cons of using Aluminum bushings (with steel inserts) for rear control arms over polyurethane or rubber ?

Would the ride be overly harsh or somewhat tolerable for a mildly driven street/strip car. Are the launch/handling advantages better, worse or the same ???

Has anyone had experience with Aluminum bushings in any other type of car ?

I'm not sure about the ride but solid bushings will allow more noise and vibration to be transmitted through the frame and into the body. Much like putting a roll bar/cage in your car.

It would be a bad idea.

The best bushing for the rear is spherical bushings. Second best is OEM rubber. Anything else is going to severely hurt the ability of the rear to articulate properly.

Rough yes, harsh yes, tolerable depends on your kidneys being bounced around. They will however be rought on the frame mounting tabs, control arms and the noise and rattle will probably drive you nuts. Go to www.hrpartsnstuff.com and either get their uppers lowers or just a weld in kit and bushings for the stockers. You will be much happier with the ride, comfort and the way the car drives.

I have some unused Energy Susp Bushings

Mike,
I you're interested, I have a complete set of Energy Suspension
rear suspension bushings (brand new, unused, still in shrink wrap) available that I'd love to get rid of. If you decide to go
that route, shoot me an email. I'd consider a reasonable offer.
Turbohh John

Originally posted by Turbo6inKY
It would be a bad idea.

The best bushing for the rear is spherical bushings. Second best is OEM rubber. Anything else is going to severely hurt the ability of the rear to articulate properly.
EXACTLY! They will cause a MECHANICAL BIND in the suspension and really mess things up!!!! DON'T DO IT!

ks:cool: