Rear brake wheel cylinders on a 87 GN

copo

Doing a brake job on the front and rear due to a siezed emerg cable, a bit of a cyl leak and worn shoes anyways.

Does anyone have a photo or pic from a book of the brake wheel cyl and the locking clip installed? I haven't taken my shoes/springs off yet to see the old one and just wanted to see it ahead of time since I bought new wheel cyl today. BTW is it safe to put antiseize on the brake line threads or a blob of grease or silicone around the area after the line is installed into the wheel cyl to keep it from rusting or seizing up?

Due to getting my car rust proofed every yr, the flared connections at the brake wheel cyl came loose real easy. But, on the RH side when the nut started to tuen it moved at the axle and a leak started. So I must have have a spot sitting on the metal axle which caused a rust spot. Crap! So I have the line off and wonder if the dealer sells premade lines for the GN. If not then I'll buy a straight line and copy the bends with my tub bender and see if someone sells a protector spring I can wrap around the line. And then the piece that will be sitting on the RH side of the axle, I'll use a piece of vacuum hose, to the right of the OEM clip and slit the rubber hose and fill it with grease and stick it on the line to act as my rattle guard.

drivers side
http://www.nastyz28.com/~copo/gnlhside.jpg

pass side
http://www.nastyz28.com/~copo/gnrhside.jpg

Anyone? Can someone tell me how to remove the wheel cyl on a 87 GN?
I have the brake lines off both wheels. I have new WC and they come with a locking clip.
Do I just pry on one side to have it disconnect from the clip? I gather the clip is on the inside of the backing plate?

Can someone with a manual that shows how to R&R the WC scan the pages for me?
I can't find this in any of my auto manuals.

thx in advance.

I got a diagram from a guy. The clip is on the backside of the backing plate.

There is a special tool for the job as well which probably would make it easier.

My local mechanic had one and got it in pretty easily in a couple of trys, but my car is very rusty.

Standard straight brake lines can be bent at home relatively easy.

I'd put neverseize on the line and nut sliding point and only a slight dab if any on the threads themselves, line usually rusts to the nut first and gets twisted up. :frown:

Works for fuel filter lines as well. ;)

Classic tube in NY state has S.S. lines which are very nice and can be purchased individually I believe but the whole set is a better deal.

Under the clip is a rust area for sure as is it's sitting place on top of the axle tube.

I didn't worry about the spring on my rusty car, the stainless ones have the spring installed on my other not so rusty, errr slightly rusty car.

Anyone? Can someone tell me how to remove the wheel cyl on a 87 GN?
I have the brake lines off both wheels. I have new WC and they come with a locking clip.
Do I just pry on one side to have it disconnect from the clip? I gather the clip is on the inside of the backing plate?

Can someone with a manual that shows how to R&R the WC scan the pages for me?
I can't find this in any of my auto manuals.

thx in advance.

To get the clip off I used a scratch awl. Stick it in the clip towards the center and pop one side off and the the other.

To get the new clip back on, use a large socket, hole saw, piece of pipe, etc., and a large c clamp. Center the clip, put the pipe/socket/hole saw over the clip, and use a large c clamp to push the clip on. I found this to be the easiest way to get the clip on.

Rob

To get the clip off I used a scratch awl. Stick it in the clip towards the center and pop one side off and the the other.

To get the new clip back on, use a large socket, hole saw, piece of pipe, etc., and a large c clamp. Center the clip, put the pipe/socket/hole saw over the clip, and use a large c clamp to push the clip on. I found this to be the easiest way to get the clip on.

Rob

I also used an awl to remove the clip, pop one side out, then the other. To install, I used 2 screw drivers and pushed both tabs in at the same time. You have to push the clip on straight or it will rock back and forth, and never go on. Not the easiest thing to do.

I also used an awl to remove the clip, pop one side out, then the other. To install, I used 2 screw drivers and pushed both tabs in at the same time. You have to push the clip on straight or it will rock back and forth, and never go on. Not the easiest thing to do.

I tried the two screwdrivers for about 45 minutes and then went with a hole saw I had. That took about two minutes...

I just hit it with the torch and blow it out. i have done alot of these.To install. i put handle of small hammer between axle and cylinder and use two screwdrivers. I made a install tool out of exhaust pipe back in the days when i worked for Midas.

Thx guys, :biggrin: I looked at it yesterday and used an awl on one side and saw it moving easliy when I was making up a new brake line that got a pin hole while sitting on the axle since 1987 when the flared nut to the wheel cyl came loose. I bent a new line by copying the OEM from a straight brake line that happened to have the spring wound protector on the hole length. That took a few hrs. And yes I did look online and one place (inline) only sells the whole kit and not just 1 line and (fine lines) don't stock any for a GN.

Classic Tube - PreBent and Custom Stainless and OE Brake Lines and more...

They have lots of lines for our cars, brake, fuel, tranny, power steering...

You have to call for individual line prices or get a written catalog which should have them in it.

Whole kit is the better deal anyway however.

Knowledgeable people a bit slow on shipping but good parts for rusty cars. :)

Mine rotted under the spring since it collects water, dirt, and salt, so I deleted it on the lines I make up, that car only has about 3 more years left anyways... :(

BTW, there were some great suggestions on installing the wheel cyl locking clip you guys came up with that I wouldn't have dreamed of. Thx again!! :)