Rear axle seals / bearings

87gninpa

Took off my drums last weekend to take a look and the drivers side was soaked in gear oil, looks like its time for a new seal. The axle also has some side-side up-down play in it so going to replace the bearings as well. Question is, are the bearings just worn or is the axle worn? Any way to tell before I take it apart? Id hate to replace bearings and seals just to find a worn axle shaft and have to do it all over again.

Look at the axle were it rides the bearing you will see some wear. Moser sells axles for like 260 cheaper threw summit

There is supposed to be in and out play. They use a "C" clip retainer located on the end of the axle in the carrier. You will have to pull the axle to see if it is grooved where the bearings ride. If it is the axle will need to be replaced along with the bearing and seal.

I know its supposed to move in and out a bit, but it moves up and down, side to side as well. Hoping its just the bearing, I guess Ill find out when I take it apart.

Ok, thanks Mike. Have any experience with those repair bearings that ride on a new surface of the axle? NATIONAL Part # RP5707 on RockAuto.com

I have used them on other GM cars but never a Buick turbo car. I never had any issues with them. They seemed to work.

please don't cheap out and use the bearing relocation deal!
on our Buicks, this creates a weak point, which will fracture, this could tear up your whole fender panel!
and cause a serious accident.
just buy the moser axles and new bearings and seals, your never have to worry about it again!
also good time to get a nice looking diff cover ,the aluminum ones will add extra oil capacity to the rear end.

How does it create a weak point? Just asking because to be honest the car isnt even worth the cost of those axles and it will never see a track.

I think what you will find is a groove worn in the axle, where the bearing rides, this is worn thru the hardening, and into the axle,
creating an edge that will become a failure fault line, it you put any power to it.

the axles are surface hardened where the bearing rides, this allows the bearing to run directly on the axle with out a race.