Really Bad Turbo Lag

This was not after brake boosting, it was after street driving for about 7 miles. But I will post in tranny and see if anyone has any feedback. Thanks guys

Regardless converters get hot. Fluid coupling ... lots of stuff going on in there.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

A converter will get to hot to touch in just a few minutes of driving.

I like at least a 2400 stall with a TE44. A restalled D5 is the tightest converter I would want to run, a 2800 10" will really wake it up.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

A TE-44 will suck off the line if the exhaust housing is not a Garrett like the stock turbo you replaced, and still have a stock torque converter.

Another thing to consider is not all D-5 stock converters are the same, as GM Parts had many different OEM suppliers and back in the early days I have seen them vary up to 400 RPM in original GN's.

I cannot believe Dusty did not ask you at what RPM do you see O PSI boost? :)

Heres my take... check the wastegate puck size. Then check to make sure you dont have a wastegate hole that has been produced for an external gate.
Had a Garret .63 housing on my TE44 and it was produced for external gate. My puck didnt contact the housing but went inside the hole.
My 44 spools faster and better than my stocker. 2800 12" pats converter.
Dont give up.... i love my 44

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

He already posted it's seeing about 2200:)

2200 should be enough with a TE-44 but since not all cars are the same he may want a little more.

I can attest that 2200 is not enough on a 44 with the Precision .63 housing. The garret would be ok but he stated his stall is only 2100. I had 2200 with my D5 on me 44 and it still wasn't enough for a good launch.