Really Bad Turbo Lag

13xturbo

I just installed a TE-44 turbo with 60lb injectors adjustable fuel pressure regulater. Hot wire kit for fuel pump and 150 fuel pump. Turbo Tweak 5.7 chip. Car has Alchy and runs 25lbs of boost on race gas. But at the line the car will not build boost well at all. Seems to be really laggy. Went from running 1.76 60 ft 7.8 1/8 mile to a 2.0 60 ft with 8.2 1/8 mile with upgrades please help.

Is everything else stock? What is the AFR at launch and top end? Did you loose mph ?

I did not check the afr at launch but I did go from 87 mph with stock trim to 91 mph now. No the car has a built tranny. Fully built custom 3" stainless exhaust with no cat. But completely stock motor

Check you waste gate puck for proper operation, and you may be very rich on the launch. MPH increase is good, with a good launch you should see 7.50

Ok so I have a couple of questions now. 1. What is the best way to check for an exhaust least or cracked header because the car is fairly loud and you cannot hear any leaks with it running. 2.What is the best way to see if the car is rich on the launch? I do know the car when it's cold acts like its loaded up a little. It will kinda hesitate when first driving until it warms up. Not sure if that is from being too rich.

I would start with visually inspecting the work you did. If all the exhaust was on and you only changed the turbo check around the mounting flange for black carbon. Do you have a Power Logger or Scan master? What did you set the new regulator to 43lbs static, no vac line attached. I have had TT chips run 10% rich or more. It can be corrected by pulling fuel but you need a PL or SM. A vacuum leak will cause the same problem, look over everything well before making any adjustment to the chip. I believe your problem will be simple to fix once you find it........... I had a similar problem at the track on night, big lag off the line, turned out to be the MAF screen fell out. I thought I blew off a vac line.

Yes the exhaust has been on the car for three yrs now. It has stock manifolds and stock crossover pipe. Car only has 29,000 miles on it. Yes I have a scan master in the car. An the regulater is set to 43lbs with vac line off. I did spray all the vac lines down with brake cleaner and haven't found any leaks that I can tell. I did out clamps on all vac lines to make sure they seal well also. I will check around the turbo for any leaks and see what I find. How much more lag should the TE-44 have over the stock turbo?

You should not have a lot of lag with your setup. What mods do you have to your air intake? From what you describe on start up, you just have a AFR condition to sort out. What are your BLM readings cold/ hot idle? O2 volts?

I have a larger turbo than yours with ported heads and cam, almost no lag. I believe you should be the same with your setup.

My intake is a 3 inch pipe to the stock mass air flow to a four inch turn down with the filter in front of the drivers front tire. The O2 readings are horrible from what they say they should be. At warm idle the volts are around 365 third gear wot they are at 600. The BLM readings I will have to check I can't remember what they were.

I believe this is where to start. Check all the basics TPS volts .040-.042 wide open 4.2-4.6, reset your chip with the orange wire, start the car and go for a short drive so it will learn its BLM settings. Turn the car off, restart drive back and check BLM at idle. Do you live at high altitude?

Ok I will check the TPS again. Then reset chip and check BLM. I am in Maine we around around 1500' to 2000' above sea level

Good, let me know.
I am at 4000 ft and race at 700 so I have to watch my AFR tuning it is rich at 4000.
Stock settings on the TT chips I have found to be rich for safety I would think, not sure if this is all your problem but ii is a good place to start.
If the puck is stuck open just a small amount on the waste gate you will have big lag also, check it out cold and hot for smooth operation.

Ok thank you very much. I will check the puck for smooth operation and reset the chip and let you know. I really appreciate the knowledge.

Check the true stall of your TC with this turbo with the SM. What are the rpm's, from the SM, at 0-1psi of boost? Your TC may not stall as high as you think. Otherwise it's probably rich in 1st, which can be tuned out to be leaner, just in first, and that helps a lot.

No problem. I miss stated the idle TPS volts should be 0.40-0.46, mine runs at 0.42

So should I be driving down the road and see what the rpm is at 0 to 1 psi or should I be stopped and holding the brake to check stall rpm?