REAL good headphones..........

RADIUSKID wrote.....

"Anybody know where to find info on older,audiophile tonearms?"

try the "rec.audio.high-end" group on USENET

Thanks for the info guy,much appreciated.
Maybe I can get the arm on my Dad's table setup now that I know what it is and what piece is/are missing.

RADIUS KID wrote......

Thanks for the info guy,much appreciated.
Maybe I can get the arm on my Dad's table setup now that I know what it is and what piece is/are missing."

What arm is it, on what table? I am no expert, but had quite a few arm/table combos pass through my hands in the last 15 years.

I sold a REAL nice SOTA/Grace747/Shure V15-5 combo some time ago to pay for the F***** Buick's engine. While a lot of "high end" people snub the Shure pickups, the V15-5 is a great piece.
While it may not have the "cachet" of the mutli-thousand dollar cartridges like the Japanese Koetsu and Kisiki, I have heard both and the Shure just plain sounds better.

Mabey I am not a true "Golden Ears".:)

Hmmm,the table is a DD Kenwood with what appears to be a Shure arm in it[full manual].
Arm has a removable headshell[five slots in it],a fairly slim counterweight and an "outrigger" style antiskating mech.
The outrigger for the thread connection between the back of the arm and and the 90 degree "swing arm" that has a weight on it and rotates,appears to have broken off.
Here's a trick for you:years ago,I bought a Shure V15 something or other from Radio Shack on a lark.
Not bad but sounded kinda "woolly"?
Hmm,pull it off the headshell and check it out.
Seems the mounting plate and the magnet body were attached together with contact cement.
Clean her off and out comes the Loctite 2 part[similar to JB Weld] and re-attach it securely.
Aah,much better.
Modded the Nagaoka Boron too.
They use a screw through the mounting plate to attach the magnet ass'y.
Same trick,pull the cover on bottom of plate,undo screw,lightly epoxy,screw back together[leaving mounting face down till epoxy sets].
Now if I could only find a stylus ass'y for the Boron?

PhilM wrote.....

"Nah, no exp. with lowthers - i am using some rather cheap FR drivers what for some reason sound.............."

Actually the Lowthers are FR drivers. What "cheap ones" are you using? As you problably know, even a cheap speaker can do pretty good with a properly matched enclosure.

My brother has been playing guitar for 16 years. For practicing(sp?) sometimes he likes to use the speaker/amp part of my circa 1955 Revere tape recorder. It's just an approx 5W PP tube amp with 2 Alnico 5 1/4" speakers, but sounds pretty good!

The 300B amp, is that a SE design? The 300B sounds so familiar, but I just can't place them. That's not the Williamson is it?

I am assuming the Voight enclosures are a horn design.

While hardly "hi-fi", I still listen to my RCA Radiola 18 (circa 1928) radio with a "horseshoe" magnet Magnavox speaker.