Ready to start machine work on a 4.1, looking to make 600hp on a 90% street car.

damnhesocheap

I have a 291 block that is in great shape and I need to go ahead and send it off to the machine shop to get this whole process started. I have done the searches on this forum and I have some idea of what I want to do but I would like to hear advice from the members here. I would prefer to send the engine to one of the builders on this forum but I have I have a machine shop that is pretty reputable in this area and they are giving me a great deal on the machine work. They just need the exact specs and so forth so I think I will be going this route. I am looking to build a reliable street-driven 4.1 that can handle 600hp. Should I stick with the factory turbo crank, rods, and hypo pistons at that level or step up to forged bottom end. Will be going with billet main caps and I have a TE60-1 turbo that has been rebuilt but I'm sure I will probably have to sell it anyway to get to 600hp. Any advice on cam and engine-build details would definitely be appreciated. I will be buying all of my parts from board members also so any deals would definitely be appreciated. Also if anyone has a 4.1 that has already been built that they would like to sale, I would definitely be interested! Thanx in advance!

if your really gonna get 600hp at the wheels or more spend the money and get forged pistons. i just pulled 3 of my wrist pins out the bottom of my hypereutectic piston pistons . full throttle has them on the shelf now. if your gonna run it hard all the time id just got with there whole rotating Assembly it has a eagle crank ,rods,pistons, and rings.and do the 2 center mains.

I agree with the above. Get a good stroker kit from a vender. Does the machine shop have the correct tooling? Buick torque plates and such? I'd have the block magged and sonic checked while your at it. Full throttle has just built one of these on a thread. It would be good to find and read Mike's combo. Nick has also built several at that hp range.

Send it to a good known shop IMO. Zimmerman racing/Nick Micale, DLS, RPE, Weber or Duttwieller will all do a great job. Not cheap but you get what you pay for

Last edited:
Send message to Nick Micale..... He is the resident expert IMO with the production 4.1 build. He will tell you the do's and dont's to make it live... Hes only been around like 800 years..

Send message to Nick Micale..... He is the resident expert IMO with the production 4.1 build. He will tell you the do's and dont's to make it live... Hes only been around like 800 years..
We should call him Noah.........LOL

Bryan

Nick is the 4.1 king for sure

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You do not need to stroke a 4.1 build to get 600 RWHP, but you will not get there with a TE-60 turbo?

Power is in the heads, so spend your $$$$ there with good ported irons or a $1800 set of TA alum heads.

There never was a proper off-the-shelf 4.1 turbo piston, so you will need to order a custom set and also check the availability of a good ring package for the final bore size.

If your engine builder has never built a Buick 4.1 turbo engine, it would be wise for him to do a mock-up with the rotating assembly to assure proper clearances. If you go with a stroker crank, the mock-up should be done with the cam in place as well.

Good luck on your build and enjoy, none of my customers have never been disappointed with our 4.1 builds! :)

The pistons listed are not off-the-shelf as Mike has them custom made to his specs for a turbo application.

I am sure he can vary pin location and dish volume for the desired compression ratio if deck height and other info is provided to him. :)

IMO, most pistons for the 4.1L should be custom ordered. I posted some pictures of a set of piston I designed for a customers 3.625" stroke 4.1L. kit. They can be ordered with any compression height and dish size.

3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg4.jpg

I guess I need to start saving up. I like the idea of a 4" and its wide selection of rings.
With my budget I keep looking for used but hens teeth might be easier to find.
I really like the idea of a stroked crank setup to go with the larger bore. And of coarse bigger valve now that they are less shrouded by the cylinder walls.
Sorry to get this thread off track. Looking forward to more updates.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app