rattle

garretberg

I have a rattle on front of my engine like a ticking rattle do not notice it as much when driving but at idle you here it more it is not internal or even valve train sounds like by water pump not knowing alot about these cars yet it looks like there is a cam sensor there could that be my rattle car also breaking apart when rpm's are over 4200 wandering if it is cam sensor would contribute to this factor of not running right at high r's any help is appreciated

87 gn 52000 miles t-tops msd super conductor wires ac 42 plugs just bought 42lb injector 340 pump billet fuel pressure reg.3 inch down pipe 93 and 108 chip,s/s steel maf pipe with k&n filter and test pipe will be putting on next couple of weeks

With the engine running, see if you can isolate the noise by placing a longer screwdriver on the cam sensor with your ear on the handle. Using the screwdriver as a stethescope, see if the noise is coming from the sensor. Other possibilites in that area: crank sensor being hit by interrupter, bad tensioner, serpentine belt too long.

Water pumps will rattle if the bearings start to fail. Remove the belt off the pump and check for play or noise at the pump or tensioner. If the pump feels okay, start the motor and see if the noise is gone. Of course, don't run the car very long without the belt.

no noise from cam sensor but when I checked water pump it seemed to rattle by listening through screwdriver putting it on upper part on both sides of pump