RA's 107 chip and keeping boost constant

DCTurbo

My current set-up consistantly runs 25 lbs in 1st, 26 lbs in 2nd and 27-28 in 3rd when running Red's 107 chip.

with stock boost selonoid and internal wastegate, can a chip be set so that 1st, 2nd and 3rd run same boost (say 27 psi)?

Thats probably because of boost creep, not the chip. Your wastegate is not bleeding off the boost quite fast enough

Originally posted by DCTurbo
My current set-up consistantly runs 25 lbs in 1st, 26 lbs in 2nd and 27-28 in 3rd when running Red's 107 chip.

with stock boost selonoid and internal wastegate, can a chip be set so that 1st, 2nd and 3rd run same boost (say 27 psi)?

Just takes setting the FAPE (maybe), and 3rd gear wastegate DC, for what you want.
3rd and 4th gear have Wastegate DC trims, that should help. usually thou you will want to cut back the boost a little in 3rd and 4th gear, ie since the EGT might creep up a little and that might generate some more boost.

Lots of mights and maybes, and that's cause each engine is a lil different.

Unfortunately boost is not a finite variable in the stock ECM.

Basically about all you can do is tell the solenoid "Run at this duty cycle" and it does it. The ECM has no way of knowing how much boost you are actually getting. So, the solenoid runs at X duty cycle but there are variables that can cause other things to happen which is probably what you're seeing.

So, to answer your question, yes and no. Yes you can set it up to run the same boost. No, it doesn't mean it will.

Thanks for the information, guys!

I'm now in the process of porting the wastegate and will consider a heavy duty wastegate actuator.

Yea, the HD actuator seems to be the ticket for getting consistent boost. Usually when you go to HD actuator, you can bypass the ECM boost control and things work pretty nicely.

OK, now let me ask some basic questions:
How do you by-pass the ECM solenoid? Do you mean a bleeder valve in the cockpit for manual adjustment of boost?
If so then how would you change boost through the run? I assume you would adjust it by hand....
These might seem like simple questions but I just want to clarify these points.

Again, thanks for the help.

Regards,

Originally posted by DCTurbo
OK, now let me ask some basic questions:
How do you by-pass the ECM solenoid? Do you mean a bleeder valve in the cockpit for manual adjustment of boost?
If so then how would you change boost through the run? I assume you would adjust it by hand....

Just run a hose from the turbo compressor outlet to the actuator inlet. Solenoid bypassed.

To adjust the boost, you can do it the old fashioned way and shorten/lengthen the rod.

You could also probably keep the stock solenoid and get a boost controller from Ramchargers. Ive heard that boost controller of Bob's works very well.