Radio for my Regal

Frank87

I have a 78 Regal and I would like to install a new radio in it. I do not need a wiring harness as the car actually never had a radio in it from the factory and I have installed the speakers. I had an old Pioneer radio that just went crazy. I would like to install a radio with a ipod jack in there. Does anybody know what I can put in there that will fit or where can I get a kit that will make some of these newer radios fit. I have checked Crutchfield and everything does not fit. Thank you

I would have hoped someone with the same year group would have posted. I check with metraonline and they have nothing listed till you get to 84. In my experience with older vehicles they don't list replacements for two main reasons. First is you have a shaft radio that has a metal face that would need modification (cutting) to fit a new head unit. The second being older systems used a common ground, that is why in my 65 I had to run new wires to all the speakers I added, a common ground will fry a new head unit very fast. I don't know what year they changed over from the common ground system though. With a little bit of customization you can put anything you want in there, just not a bolt in job.

I would have hoped someone with the same year group would have posted. I check with metraonline and they have nothing listed till you get to 84. In my experience with older vehicles they don't list replacements for two main reasons. First is you have a shaft radio that has a metal face that would need modification (cutting) to fit a new head unit. The second being older systems used a common ground, that is why in my 65 I had to run new wires to all the speakers I added, a common ground will fry a new head unit very fast. I don't know what year they changed over from the common ground system though. With a little bit of customization you can put anything you want in there, just not a bolt in job.
I have a 78 Regal and I would like to install a new radio in it. I do not need a wiring harness as the car actually never had a radio in it from the factory and I have installed the speakers. I had an old Pioneer radio that just went crazy. I would like to install a radio with a ipod jack in there. Does anybody know what I can put in there that will fit or where can I get a kit that will make some of these newer radios fit. I have checked Crutchfield and everything does not fit. Thank you

I would have hoped someone with the same year group would have posted. I check with metraonline and they have nothing listed till you get to 84. In my experience with older vehicles they don't list replacements for two main reasons. First is you have a shaft radio that has a metal face that would need modification (cutting) to fit a new head unit. The second being older systems used a common ground, that is why in my 65 I had to run new wires to all the speakers I added, a common ground will fry a new head unit very fast. I don't know what year they changed over from the common ground system though. With a little bit of customization you can put anything you want in there, just not a bolt in job.[/quot

I believe that a stereo install kit for a 84-87 Regal should work as I also have a 87 GN and I removed the radio bezel and besides the different mounting holes for the radio it looks identical. I will need to pick one up at Walmart for 10$ and try it as they will take it back should it not fit. I had to do a custom job when I installed the radio I just removed as it needed a support for the back ( a small piece of velcroed 2X4 worked well). As for the ground I just grounded the radio to the inside frame where the radio sits and it worked well. I may need to get a new bezel but first I will construck one out of some thin plywood or plexiglass. I will update once I have got everything together. If someone can tell me how to post pictures I will or I can email. Just PM me Thank you

UPDATE... I have installed the single DIN radio in my 78 Regal. I used Metra kit 99-4644 which I purchased from amazon.com.The kit required minor modification but a hack saw blade does the job with ease. I have pictures in my phone and I will be happy to email them to anyone that would like to do the same thing I did. I have not installed the face plate cover as I do not want to cut it up, I will get some thin wood and take care of it in the spring as the car will sit in the garage while winter goes away.