Radio adaptor

rhunt

I bought a CD/radio I think it was from a late model Camaro, to install in my 87 GN. The guy I bought it from said that I had to buy an adaptor in order to connect the unit in my GN. Does anyone know what kind of adaptor I need and where I can get it? Spring is coming and I want to replace my GN radio with something that actually works!!!

Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Roger

Is this a factory or aftermarket radio? You mention there's an adaptor, I can't think of any sort of adaptors for a factory radio to go into another car. Late model Camaro's use a different wiring harness, and many have the Bose system. I would guess you'd have to custom fab something up.
If it's aftermarket, you'll need a dash kit and antenna adaptor... recommended parts for a much faster and easier install includes a wiring harness or two. You can find these parts at Circuit City or similar stores. If you want to save a few bucks and you know what you are doing, you can just buy the car-side harness (I believe it's a 1677-1), then wire that up with the CD player harness.

Radio

BlackBeauty

No its a Camaro radio/cd unit and I was told that there is an adaptor that plugs into the GN harness and then into the back of the new unit.

HTH

Roger

Intercooler:

Thanks for the reply. Can I get that at a bone yard or do I need to go to a dealer? Can you tell me what an "old style" plug is. Don't mean to be a pest its just I want to get everything I'll need for the installation so I don't have to keep going back and forth to the parts store.

Regards

Roger

plugs

Best way to do this is go to the bone yard and get a harness for a GM Delco radio.AS long as the car is fairly new then a harness should work.I would take my radio just in case to make sure you get the right one.I have seen cars that have different harnesses in them from the factory,but it is rare.Then stop by your local car stereo shop and get a radio adapter harness for your car.All old Gm harnesses are the same grey plug for power and other and black plug for speakers.On this harness the wires will be labeled.Look close at the wire and you will see they are labeled.12v constant,12v switched,power anteana,left front speaker,right rear speaker and so on.The trick is getting a wiring diagram for the new radio plug.Once you get that you are set and it is self explanitory.I would try the car stereo shop.They all have a computer database that shows pinouts and factory colors for wires related to what they are for.If they try to charge you for this print out ,dont pay for it!Go to the next car stereo shop and they will probably be cool about it,most are.If not, I can call the shop I used to work at and get it for you,but try a car stereo shop first.No hassle at all!Hope this helps!

Intercooler:

Thanks for the information and offer. I'll do as you say and go to the boneyard this weekend if possible. I have several cars and the weather sounds as though it might be oil change and getting ready for spring type weather :) Whatever I can't wait. I'll go and see if I can find the harness. You said the
GM harness is/has a grey plug in the late model ones. Is there anything else that ID's the plug as the wiring harness? Most of the radios in the boneyard are long gone. I think I remember what they look like, but any info you can give me will help lots.

Thanks again

Roger

GM makes an adapter, when I got my CD player from Jays GN (later model GM) it came with an adapter harness in a GM box.

It was years ago, I don't have the box, ask Jay.

B