Radiators on V8 conversions?

rtviper

What are the V8 guys using for radiators to cool their cars. I am having issues with my cooling system. Just installed the F body unit with 2 fans and its not doing the job. I am positive it's a combo of air flow and Radiator problem. I had the 4 tube stock unit in it before the single row f body, both do the same thing as I drive the temps climb.
Maybe the 12 year old spearco intercooler, about 4 inches thick is the culprit?

Has anyone tried a high volume puller fan on the intercooler to assist the fans on the radiator?

I dunno about how it would do on a V8, but a radiator I installed from RedC5 is the best I've used yet. I used dual Spal fans I got off Ebay for 200 bucks. I don't mess with anything else anymore. They move air and are pretty thin. cut the excess of the shroud to where it will sit flush all the way around, mount it directly up against the radiator sealed with foam. With both oil and trans fluid running through it, with the AC on, giving it some WOT's on the highway and pushing the car in stop and go traffic it got to 190 on a 107 degree day. And shortly dropped back down to 180. This is with RJC's FMIC in front of it.without ac on it was low 170s. On a cooler day on the dyno it never got over 167.

What are the V8 guys using for radiators to cool their cars. I am having issues with my cooling system. Just installed the F body unit with 2 fans and its not doing the job. I am positive it's a combo of air flow and Radiator problem. I had the 4 tube stock unit in it before the single row f body, both do the same thing as I drive the temps climb.
Maybe the 12 year old spearco intercooler, about 4 inches thick is the culprit?

Has anyone tried a high volume puller fan on the intercooler to assist the fans on the radiator?

In my opinion the radiator is not the problem. One way to experiment is to remove the IC and take a drive. If problems persist Id look at something else.

I use a small dual pass alum radiator with no Tstat.

In my opinion the radiator is not the problem. One way to experiment is to remove the IC and take a drive. If problems persist Id look at something else.

I use a small dual pass alum radiator with no Tstat.

How small? I am thinking of trying the dual pass unit also. Are you using electric fans ?

I just tried a 195 t-stat and it was the same after about 10 miles of stop and go driving never above 40 mph, the temps climbed to 240 before I shut it down.

I did notice there is large open spaces on both sides of the radiator. Maybe most of ther air is flowing around the radiator except for what the fans draw through?
I might have to try the removal of the intercooler and see.
Thanks guys

I have looked at the Mark VIII fan but I have the intercooler up pipe in the way of using a large puller fan. I couldn't see where I could reverse the rotation of that fan to make it a pusher?

Radiator

I bought a brand new single row Aluminum radiator w/ plastic tanks from the local auto parts store back when I first installed the 305.

I think I told them it was for a Monte Carlo w/ a 305...

I had the biggest flex fan you can buy, and still had temp issues, noisy too. I also was using a digital temp gauge. Big mistake

When I put the 350 in I bought a Flex-a-light dual fan setup.

Flex-a-lite 420 - Flex-a-lite Low Profile S-Blade Electric Fans – SummitRacing.com

not from Summit though, some other place. It came w/ the fan controller which has a temp sending unit that monitors the engine temp and kicks the fan on automatically, I also have it hooked up to a toggle to manually turn it on if I want, works perfect.

I replaced my digitaltemp gauge w/ a mechanical one, and my readings were totally different, before I was always around 200, now the car sits @160... gauge was my problem..

I was real close to spending big money on a different radiator, glad I didnt. I should mention that I also have AC in the car too.

I have no issues w/ cooling, 160 be cool thermostat installed (higher flow)

just my experience w/ a V8 in a regal..