Radiator

LI6pack

folks

Think my original radiator just crapped out. Anyone has a good source for a replacement? Thank you in advance

Get yours recored in brass. You keep the stock trans cooler and it is a guaranteed fit.

Go to advance auto parts dot com's website. Look up a a radiator for an '89 IROC and enter TRT30 for the discount code and pick it up at your local store.

Then enjoy the savings and lifetime warranty.

Go to advance auto parts dot com's website. Look up a a radiator for an '89 IROC and enter TRT30 for the discount code and pick it up at your local store.

Then enjoy the savings and lifetime warranty.
Does it include the oil & trans coolers? Is it a direct drop in fit or will I need to modify any connections to oil, trans or water? Thanks for another viable option that probably is cheaper then others & lifetime cost free.

Does it include the oil & trans coolers? Is it a direct drop in fit or will I need to modify any connections to oil, trans or water? Thanks for another viable option that probably is cheaper then others & lifetime cost free.

No oil cooler, and it has plastic tanks. It will fit but it's not the same as a stock replacement rad.

Some like them some don't.

I personally won't use one because I hate plastic tanks.

Last edited:
Just spend the money for the alradco and get the dual fans, exspensive yes but worth every penny and is direct fit and plug and play.

I concur with the 2 posts above. Some like the F-body rad. That's fine, it serves its purpose. But the lack of an oil cooler (even though I already run a separate trans cooler) and plastic tanks is why I wouldn't choose to go that route personally. If you plan on keeping your car spend the money on a good radiator and never have to buy another again.

I agree with Earl Brown. I run the F body radiator with dual spal fans and have had no issues.
It has plastic tanks, but it also has a Lifetime Warranty. It must be a decent of enough design for GM engineers to run it on the 87-92 F-bodies. Way more of those cars produced than the Turbo Buicks.

I agree with Earl Brown. I run the F body radiator with dual spal fans and have had no issues.
It has plastic tanks, but it also has a Lifetime Warranty. It must be a decent of enough design for GM engineers to run it on the 87-92 F-bodies. Way more of those cars produced than the Turbo Buicks.

And way cheaper to produce in this throw away society we live in nowadays.

Only in America! My how we have become ignorant, lazy and tolerant of inferior parts.

The top reason they changed to crappy tanks and aluminum is PRICE plain and simple.

It has a trans cooler only. and you have to tweak the trans lines to fit if you use them. Since I live in GA I didn't bother with the trans cooler, I just ran direct to my external coolers. As far as fit, it drops right in and uses the same hoses and radiator cap, etc.. as the stock GN. It keeps my car rock solid temp wise with a plain ole radiator and factory fan. I did jump out the low speed resistor.

If you get a replacement GN radiator they will come with bushings for the trans cooler on the front of the tank. That will space out your lines so they interfere with the mounting and could possible rub through the trans lines.

I don't have any experience with the Alradco, I'm sure it's a fine unit but if a $70 radiator that's in stock will do the job....

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-radiator-433918/3900096-P?searchTerm=radiator

If you go that route, don't forget to pay for it online and pick it up at the store. That way you can save the $30.from the discount code. You'll also get a $5 coupon if you're a member of SpeedPerks ($20 if you pad the order to $100)

Any reason I could not use the tranny cooler in the f body radiator for the oil cooler instead? I have a brand new external tranny cooler setup. Not sure if the oil lines would mate up or adapt to the radiator/tranny cooler?

The tranny cooler is sized for thin ATF. It's just not designed for engine oil.

You possibly could get away with it, but then your transmission wouldn't have a warmer-upper anymore.

It seems like the flow area on the intake of the trans cooler is waaaay smaller than the sammich adapter (1/2 in and out). You'd probably be sending 90%+ of your oil though the bypass.

Yep. Understood. I broke the overflow nipple and now I'm thinking about a new radiator but not gonna spend 500 to 600 bucks.

Screw that! Fbodys with lifetime warranty are less than $100.

You can break a nipple off those and have a new one installed in an hour.