Radiator replacement

Everyone has that "line" that they will not cross, me , it is replacing that crappy stereo with a quality sound system just to keep the interior factory looking. But had no problem trimming the rad support to fit a quality aluminium rad in there. Did it and never looked back, car runs between 160 165 all day , air blasting 90deg day. Paint it black if you want it to look factory, but have other parts in there that shine so no problem with that.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
Might end up going that direction. Will see. Might take it to a radiator shop and see what can be done. Its just full of scale and gunk . Doesnt leak.

No doubt, everybody does their own thing. I’m willing to deviate from stock appearing on my other cars, but my GN is a 62k mile original paint car, so anything other than stock wouldn’t have worked for me.
It surely has been an adventure finding parts.

Like Tim says, all depends on the level of your restoration/originality. I lost my numbers matching motor in a catastrophic motor failure, so small things dont matter much. But if you have a pristine stocker, that mod to the rad support is like nails on a chalkboard, lol. $ plays a big part also, people out there will fix your stock rad, make it just as good if not better than an alum. one, but be prepaired to pay the price.

If one is full of scale and junk can you pull those end caps off to clean it ? I had a Rad shop tell me the thing will probably fall apart being 32 years old .

Might end up going that direction. Will see. Might take it to a radiator shop and see what can be done. Its just full of scale and gunk . Doesnt leak.
If they boil it to clean it out, that in itself will prob cause it to start leaking. Like Keith said, the 31-32 year old cores are now on borrowed time. If I had only known then, I would have a stockpile of new GM radiators and bumper fillers. Lol.
I will say this, don’t buy aluminum if you think it’s going to keep your car running cooler. My plugged up original never let my car run hot. 175-185 in hot stop and go traffic and it never got above 165 on the highway.

Just an fyi, this is what was needed done to the rad support on mine, you'll notice about an inch or two shaved off at the hood lock area. Is a deal breaker for some.
df3fb5b65e9a6671cca094f69fadb72a.jpg

How bout Rock Auto ? Don't they carry one at a good price with both cooler tanks ?

I bought one of the radiators that Rock Auto sells for our application made by APDI and it configure correctly. The fittings on the transmission cooler connections are wrong and even if you can source a fitting which I did there isn't room between the fittings and the A/C condenser core. Don't buy one you won't be happy. The only possible application for the APDI radiator would be for guys with no A/C. I ended up buying the Cold Case radiator, it's a very nice piece.

Neal

I bought one of the radiators that Rock Auto sells for our application made by APDI and it configure correctly. The fittings on the transmission cooler connections are wrong and even if you can source a fitting which I did there isn't room between the fittings and the A/C condenser core. Don't buy one you won't be happy. The only possible application for the APDI radiator would be for guys with no A/C. I ended up buying the Cold Case radiator, it's a very nice piece.

Neal
Thanks Neal for that info , I will not be buying one of those .

Just an fyi, this is what was needed done to the rad support on mine, you'll notice about an inch or two shaved off at the hood lock area. Is a deal breaker for some.
df3fb5b65e9a6671cca094f69fadb72a.jpg

What fans did you run?

What fans did you run?
i used the kirbans intrepid fans with a casper harness, they all plugged in together with the factory harness seamlessly. i have a stock location stretched IC, i have heard some running front mounts have issues with the pipes. will look for a picture with it together if i can.

i used the kirbans intrepid fans with a casper harness, they all plugged in together with the factory harness seamlessly. i have a stock location stretched IC, i have heard some running front mounts have issues with the pipes. will look for a picture with it together if i can.
Ok thanks here's my email alvarog1983@hotmail.com you can send it.