Radiator hoses, "best" blackener & dressing ??

tom h

Applying my favorite exterior rubber dressing (3M) to engine compartment hoses doesn't seem to work very well -- the hoses still seem faded or mottled, and I can't get them black enough. These are NOS hoses.

Does anyone have suggestions for a rubber dressing?

A satin finish is preferred, but glossier/wetter looking would be tolerable.

how about Aerospace 303? That stuff works great but it's not cheap. Like $17 bux for a standard sized bottle...

You are proabably going to think this is really stupid, but have you tried peanut butter? I've used it on cars when someone gets wax on the black plastic trim, but I have not tried it on rubber.

I use Meguars Safe Degreaser to clean and then diluted hyperdressing to make things shiney.

Alan.

I often have been partial to the Meguiar's and 3M products.

I notice at meguiars.com: E-Store /Professional (Detailer Brand)>Dressings , Meguiar's lists:

-- All Season Dressing : a VOC compliant formula that produces a deep, rich, long lasting shine on all exterior rubber and plastic surfaces...
-- Silicone-Free Dressing ... Its VOC compliant formula produces an incredibly deep, rich high gloss shine on all exterior rubber and plastic surfaces...
-- Hyper-Dressing : dilutes up to four to one, varying the gloss from high to satin...

Alan- have you tried the other dressings?? How do they compare to the "Hyper Dressing" ??

Unfortunately Meguiars sells these only in 1-gallon containers at $27-40 each ... not too practical to sample all of them !

I often have been partial to the Meguiar's and 3M products.

I notice at meguiars.com: E-Store /Professional (Detailer Brand)>Dressings , Meguiar's lists:

-- All Season Dressing : a VOC compliant formula that produces a deep, rich, long lasting shine on all exterior rubber and plastic surfaces...
-- Silicone-Free Dressing ... Its VOC compliant formula produces an incredibly deep, rich high gloss shine on all exterior rubber and plastic surfaces...
-- Hyper-Dressing : dilutes up to four to one, varying the gloss from high to satin...

Alan- have you tried the other dressings?? How do they compare to the "Hyper Dressing" ??

Unfortunately Meguiars sells these only in 1-gallon containers at $27-40 each ... not too practical to sample all of them !

No I haven't. However if you'll go to autodetailingsolutions

http://www.autodetailingssolutions.com

You can buy from them in "sampler" sizes of 16-32 ounces.

Alan.

I just ordered small sample bottles of the Meguiars
  • All-Season Dressing
  • Hyper Dressing
  • Silicone Free Dressing
Will compare them under-the-hood, and also against my mainstay 3M Rubber Dressing for the exterior.

Did you try the 303? They send free samples too...

I'm not a spokesperson or anything like that for them, I just found that their product does what it says. (it's not too shiney either.) - Used mostly on boats to protect plastic from UV.

So I used the formula recommended on meguiars on line last October. Degrease with safe degreaser in a foaming sprayer then apply hyperdressing diluted 4-1. Here was the result.

Attachments

• Copy (1) of engine detailing_20060604_012_2_1_1.JPG
    Copy (1) of engine detailing_20060604_012_2_1_1.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Copy (1) of engine detailing_20060604_010_1_1_1.JPG
    Copy (1) of engine detailing_20060604_010_1_1_1.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 182
I just use No Touch Tire Care. Spray it on and let the foaming action clean and protect..........and purdy easy too !!!!!

I just use No Touch Tire Care. Spray it on and let the foaming action clean and protect..........and purdy easy too !!!!!

Been there and done that. The trouble is that the no touch is greasy and attracts underhood grit and grime.

aminga: Nice bay! How often do you clean it and are the above listed cleaners all you use? I do ok with home style methods for degreasing and cleaning but never get the results you got (not too big on the detailing- takes too long and never lasts). (btw, do you even drive the car ?)
:smile:

aminga: Nice bay! How often do you clean it and are the above listed cleaners all you use? I do ok with home style methods for degreasing and cleaning but never get the results you got (not too big on the detailing- takes too long and never lasts). (btw, do you even drive the car ?)
:smile:

The white car is a play toy so it only gets taken out when the weather is nice. But the last Engine Detail I did was October. And since doing that I haven't had to do much except blow the dust off of it.

Another vote for 303 Protectant. It is recommended for boat interiors and is used by Boeing to keep their aircraft tires shiny. Just kidding on the airplane tires but they do endorse it. The best part is the protection aspect as well as improving appearance. I have been using it on my car and boat interiors for about 10 years and like it mostly because it lasts a long time.
MLH