Radiator Fluid In Top Of Head

YoungTurbo

My Sweet Revenge!!!
I pulled the valve cover on the driver's side head today and saw nice new green radiator fluid in the head towards the front of the car...I pulled the inake manifold and saw the "milky" substance on the bottom of the manifold which is created through the combination of oil and water...

Any ideas on what it could be (headgasket or manifold gasket)?

Any idea if the poor oil pressure and water contamination caused by this (i suppose) would incur any additional damages such as bearing failure??

Should i take the heads off and have them looked at or anything of that nature?

Thanks in advance for any advice and info shared!!

Eric

that sounds like a blown head gasket but first do a compression test and dont drive the car anymore. It will cause big problems if you do.:eek:

My .2

Bo

Didn't you just go thru the engine recently? Maybe retorque the intake manifold and heads and see if you have any loose bolts before you pull heads off.

Originally posted by YoungTurbo
.........Any idea if the poor oil pressure and water contamination caused by this (i suppose) would incur any additional damages such as bearing failure??
Should i take the heads off and have them looked at or anything of that nature? Eric

If you were using antifreeze in your system, it will ruin any bearing it comes into contact. Sounds like you have a head gasket leaking and enough cooling fluid has reached all the bearings to present a problem, if not immediately, in the near future.

Yes, the heads need to come off [after the comp. test] and check the surface for flatness. This means they should be surfaced milled.

So do u think i should pull the motor and change all the bearings!?!?!

I'll do a compression test to see what i get...

It probably is a crack in the head or intake, otherwise it would be mixed into the oil and wouldn't be a nice green color. So for that reason, I say it probably isn't a blown head gasket. I would say it is a small crack in the head. Pull the oil pan to get all the coolant out, draining it leaves about 1/2" inch in the bottom (which is where the coolant will settle). Put some GM coolant tabs (ground up coconut shells) and let it idle. Be very careful though as the coolant will ruin the bearings quickly. Don't rev it (creating higher coolant system pressure from the pump) but let it idle and circulate slowly. Check it often to see if it's still leaking.

My opinion only so take it for what's it worth.

Originally posted by YoungTurbo
ttt

Eric,

I don't think you're going to get much more input here until you tear into it a bit. Give me a call and I will come over and look at it with you if you like. Those are early casting GN1s and it is very possible that you have a crack. :(

Could always just be some coolant coming by a head bolt or 2. Hard to say without seeing it first hand. The coolant tabs will take care of that.

I think u may be right...I believe that is what may be happening at the first bolt near the front of the car....Any fixes that u may suggest besides the coolant tabs?

Thanks,
Eric