Radiator fan not going on

VADER

Little engine that could
Just installed jeep shaft, now car is leaking out the radiator cap. Looks like fan isn't going on, dual fan setup. Could I have unplugged something? It's been a while since I have worked on this, so I forgot. Thanks

There is a temperature sensor in the driver's side cylinder head. That is close to the steering shaft. Not sure if it provides signal for fan control.

The temp sender is on the front of the intake manifold. See if you accidentally unplugged a fan relay (doubtful)

Just gave everything a once over, added some water, I noticed the upper rad hose was squeezed, a driver side relay was unplugged but it was marked hella, so I assume that was lighting. Started car up, ran to operating temp, fan went on, but coolant temp kept rising. So, could only be the stat is stuck closed or water pump is shot. Wouldn't the pump still turn though?

???

It may. It may not. But if your engine's running and the pulley's turning and you're not seeing or hearing anything abnormal then you know it's not seized. If it's seized, you'll know it, with zero doubts. (my gs did that)

Check for air pockets in the system. Also, take your t-stat out and check it. See if it's all gummed up. Which fan setup do you have? Is your rad hose collapsing by chance? Are both fans coming on as well? How old are the fan motors?

You might need this switch. It is in the front of the intake on the driver side. It has one wire going to it (green I think).
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MPI0/28386/01963.oap?year=1987&make=Buick&model=Regal&vi=5000098&ck=Search_cooling fan switch_5000098_1596&keyword=cooling fan switch
That's the overtemp sensor that turns the high fan on at 220. Will also run with the car off if 220 up temp is present. It's left many people with a dead battery in the morning when it craps out :mad: .

The thing that killed batterys at night is the large delay relay on the DS fender. The green wired switch is what we tap to make a 'hi speed fan switch' in the cockpit.

Never use green and cock in the same sentence with Kermit as your picture Earl :D

Check the main (factory) fan plug. I see them melt down when dual fans are installed.

Rick

The fans do go on, I have to pull the stat, it might be clogged

Weird thing, now it works fine. I pulled the radiator hose and moved the stat no problem, ran the car with rad cap off and filled it as the stat opened. Must have been an air bubble trapped in the upper hose, and intake manifold.