Race fuel question

GoldT

Looks slow, goes fast!
I'm going to run my 87 T-Type tomorrow at Kennedale. I have about 1/8 of a tank and plan on adding 5-10 gals. of race fuel at the track. How long should I run it to purge the pure pump gas already in the lines and fuel rail?

Hope you mean run the pump and collect the fuel from the end of the fuel rail just in front of the pressure regulator. I run the pump until the fuel spurts from the hose....

Bob

No, actually I'm just adding approx. 5 gals. of race gas to approx. 5 gals. of pump gas already in the tank and was wondering how long I should run the engine to make sure the race gas/pump gas mix has made it to the fuel rail. I'm just looking for a little more octane for safety's sake(opening my dump adds 2-3 psi).

It won't take but a few seconds. The fuel goes through the pump into the rail......the FP regulator sends the "un-used" fuel back to the tank through the return line. At idle, you don't use much fuel, so just a few seconds and the new mix should be circulating.

What I do is take out the shraeder valve at the rail, hook up a hose, and get the fuel pump running with a jumper on the FP test connection near the alternator. Run out the pump gas til the tank is dry......then add the 100% race gas.

John

What OKTurbo says is correct...won't take long for your 5 gal of 93, and 5 gal of 110 to turn into 10 gal of 101.5 octance gas.

Bob

Thanks guys, I'm going tonight to try the "instant green" racing at Kennedale tonight; sounds kind of wierd. This young kid at my work just bought a Mustang and is talking smack, so I agreed to run to shut him up. I'm hoping for low 8's on regular street radials. I'll post the results later. Thanks again.

Jeff

Wow, instant green drag racing stinks. My best was an 8.70@83; which is .1 second slower but 3 mph faster than my previous best. My friend's TA ran .3 -.4 seconds slower but at the same mph as usual. I talked to a couple of other guys who said that their cars were running about .3 seconds slower than usual also. Apparently, the clock starts as soon as it goes green, and if you go before the green, they don't run the clock at all (like my first run). So I figure that conservatively, my ET should be between 8.40 and 8.50. Anyone else tried this "instant green" nonsense? If so, how did you like it?

Instant green

Hi,

I've run the instant green at Kennedale several times. I thought it was alright. They usually don't prep the track as well for that program. As far as times the clock start until you trip the lights. I usually use it as test and tune so I dont worry about R/T just 60' and ET. And besides that its only 10 bucks.

Later,

John