Quick tranny question.........

1BADDAM

Venomous Snake Handler
Sorry not 2004r related, but have a friend with a 2002 Ford Escape - according to some research has a CD4E transmission - 152,000 miles. Tranny shifts and drives fine with no apparent issues, but has a delayed engagement in drive for 2-3 seconds. Took it to tranny shop (don't know which), they said it needs a rebuild or new tranny. Wanted an unbiased opinion from some of the guys with shops - is this common and what a typical rebuild runs? TIA

I have an old cop car, not the same trans obviously it's a 4r70W over 580,000 km's on it there had been a 2-3 second delay since I got it about 5 years ago, still no issues other than the delay, it shifts fine all gears. I suggest he lets it crap out first, who knows it might run forever like mine is. If and when the trans goes I'll throw out the car, I use it mostly in the winter as a DD it's a 2003. As for pricing I can't say.

just my opinion, a name brand transmission shop will always try to make a quick buck. Ask around like you are doing and find someone reputable. There are many shops out there and many knowledgeable and honest people and you will also find the ones that are just out to make money. A friend of mine took his car to a transmission shop, paid 1200, lasted 13 months, warranty was 12. Took it to a small reputable shop, paid 150 to replace valve body, lasted 3 years until the car was totaled.