Quick suspension question

BIGJOE

so im replacing the bushing in my upper wishbone passenger side, i have the wishbone off and just hanging from the brake cylinger but the bolt that connects the brake cylinder to the wishbone will not come up, is there some magic trick to getting this dam thing out. or am i just dense?

Are you talking replacing the rubber bushings on the upper "A" frame? You should pop the upper ball joint first then remove the "A" frame. The ball joint has a tappered pin that goes into the spindle assy. You can use a "pickle" fork to "pop" it but they tend to damage the boot or there are other pullers available that will not destroy the boot on the ball joint.

pickle fork and a hammer. MAKE SURE the spring is compressed with a spring compressor or the full weight of the car is on the lower A-arm to keep the spring in place.

Keep in mind, no matter the method you're working with a loaded bomb.

pickle fork and a hammer. MAKE SURE the spring is compressed with a spring compressor or the full weight of the car is on the lower A-arm to keep the spring in place.

Keep in mind, no matter the method you're working with a loaded bomb.

Like Earl said, get a good spring compressor. My buddy knocked out 6 of his front teeth with a spring from a truck.:(

um....what spring you talking about....i already have the wishbone off......and just hanging off the brake cylinder.....its not even close to the spring..

okay let me reiterate, instead of removing the whole wishbone assemble i just took the top jaw part of and left the bottom part still holding the spring in place.

Right. and as long as the cars weight stays on the A-arm, you'll be OK. If you let that lower A-arm swing down that spring can come out with authorti!

got it earl i have a jack secondary jack holding that arm up right now, its not going anywhere. thanks again for the advice

It'd be a good idea to let that secondary jack support all the weight. Luckly with these cars, the springs will blow most of their load (giggidy) before they make it out of the spring pocket... that being said, it's not worth the risk to avoid every precaution. It probably won't mess you up, but if one of those springs get ahold of you, it won't be pretty.

They're sitting there will almost 1000#s of stored energy waiting to either hold a car up or go on a damage spree! :D

I always just loosen the ball joint nut but don't take it all the way off. Then smack the side of the knuckle a few times with a decent sized hammer. You won't damage the boot and the spring won't fly out. This won't work with the weight of the car on the suspension.

HouTX87 said:
I always just loosen the ball joint nut but don't take it all the way off. Then smack the side of the knuckle a few times with a decent sized hammer. You won't damage the boot and the spring won't fly out. This won't work with the weight of the car on the suspension.

If I was going to do that I'd at the least put a good sized chain around the frame and spring to make sure it didn't exit rapidly in case that nut doesn't hold. Saftey first.

Safety first of course. I don't want anyone to get hurt, but it works for me every time. The shock will also keep the spring in place.