Quick no BS way to identify stage 2's?

Is there a quick no bs way to identify even vs odd and on center vs. off. I have access to a race collection that has numerous motors and cars and parts and If I can find a buick motor in the bunch I need to be able to i.d. it on the shelf without tearing it down. Casting numbers or ???????

I know he has an injector setup but who knows what else is hidden in the warehouse......

The quickest way is by the oil inlet at the top of the front cover.

I wanna say that "most" of the on-center blocks came with the inlet on an angle.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The only way that I know to ID if it's an even fire or odd fire is by taking the oil pan off. If it's an odd fire, two rods will share the same journal like the SBC. If it's an even fire then each rod will be on its own journal just like the production style.

HTH
Prasad

stage 2

you live in ill, i live in indiana drive few miles and i have 5 stage engines, two oncenters and 3 offcenters and you can look at them in person, and maybe i can sell you few parts, like cranks, rods, heads, blocks[oncenter]
thanks oc,:biggrin:

you live in ill, i live in indiana drive few miles and i have 5 stage engines, two oncenters and 3 offcenters and you can look at them in person, and maybe i can sell you few parts, like cranks, rods, heads, blocks[oncenter]

Well there you go; it doesn't get any better than that. OC taught me everything I know about stage stuff. Just like he said I drove over to his house back in 2002 or 2003 and he showed me everything and I learned so much from him.

Thanks OC!

Prasad

I may take you up on that offer if I make it out to indy some time this summer. I'm usually there atleast once a summer for one event or another.
Thanks, Eric

If it has a distributor look at the spark plug wire towers - odd fire will have uneven spacing between the plug wires, even fire will be, well, even :).

Don't always count on the distributor cap to be grouped in two's. Best is to remove the cap and look at the mag pickup trigger. On an odd fire the trigger blades will be grouped in "two's", in other words they will not be evenly spaced as with an even fire, but rather you will find two spaced close together, then a wide gap, then two spaced close together again for a total of 3 groupes of two trigger blades.