Quick Direct scan question

tsaltario

Still learning!!!!!
Hey guys, I figure I get one silly question every 6 months or so, so here it is. LOL

I've never used my direct scan to tune the car. But It's been running a little rough, and I want to hook it up, and get the necessary readings etc...

The DS is designed to record a full 1/4 mile pass right? but I'm not planning on getting it to the track for a while. My question is this... Can I record during a hard excelleration through say, 2nd gear, to get acurate readings as well? Should I start from a dead stop on a back road somewhere?

I guess I want to know, without doing a full 1/4 mile pass, what do I need to record to see if all the settings are where they should be?

I would assume I also need to take note of the values at idle too, correct?

Thanks guys. Once the snow clears, (Yes, snow ARGH!) I'm hooking up my laptop, and getting a buddy to ride along to make some recordings. and do lots and lots of reading after that! LOL

Directscan can record whenever you want, idle, 10 mph 100 mph. U can trigger it to record different ways. If you car is not running right i'd probably look at the idle numbers first then go from there... good luck

I've done some recording with it before, so I'm familiar with that, just wanting to make sure when I'm checking the full throttle #'s, it doesn't have to be a full 1/4 mile or from a dead stop.:)

I would set the thing up for spacebar triggering.

When you hit the spacebar with it set up for maximum resolution of 18 frames a second I believe you get a minute or a minute and ten seconds of recording time.

I'd trigger it with the spacebar to record idle and low speed around the block driving and study that first.

Take car of any issues you find and then you can hit the spacebar at your safe WOT tuning spot and run it through a couple of gears WOT and it will record the same time just over a minute.

It's easy to use for all types of driving recording.

Preferences is where you set up the trigger type in the menus.

SalvageV6 is right on. I recently went to DS from TurboLink 2.13 and man what a difference! I've been doing alot of 'cruise around' recording and have found alot of things that 'interest' me. Just hit the spacebar whenever you feel the need, in whatever conditions you're curious about and you have over a minute of recording time. Ideally, if you have the room, you'd like to capture the data thru the top of 3rd gear for your WOT passes, as that's where the demands from the engine are the greatest. Have fun :smile: , and be safe!!

you'd like to capture the data thru the top of 3rd gear for your WOT passes, as that's where the demands from the engine are the greatest. Have fun :smile: , and be safe!!

Good advice here. 3rd gear is a killer on the engine.

Hey guys, I figure I get one silly question every 6 months or so, so here it is. LOL

I've never used my direct scan to tune the car. But It's been running a little rough, and I want to hook it up, and get the necessary readings etc...

The DS is designed to record a full 1/4 mile pass right? but I'm not planning on getting it to the track for a while. My question is this... Can I record during a hard excelleration through say, 2nd gear, to get acurate readings as well? Should I start from a dead stop on a back road somewhere?

I guess I want to know, without doing a full 1/4 mile pass, what do I need to record to see if all the settings are where they should be?

I would assume I also need to take note of the values at idle too, correct?

Thanks guys. Once the snow clears, (Yes, snow ARGH!) I'm hooking up my laptop, and getting a buddy to ride along to make some recordings. and do lots and lots of reading after that! LOL

At least you got it to work, couldn't get mine to work:confused: Looks like I'm going to have to spend the money on a scanmaster, was trying to get off cheap.

At least you got it to work, couldn't get mine to work:confused: Looks like I'm going to have to spend the money on a scanmaster, was trying to get off cheap.

Hey NGN... what the problem is??? I can help you get it working. It'll be well worth it!! I sent you a PM....
Brian